tfwright

tfwright

I just updated a pretty big api-only app running Phoenix 1.6 to 1.7 and everything went smoothy except for one thing that appears no longer to be supported: I was using Phoenix.Template to render ad hoc html in various context functions in order to generate PDFs, via render_template/2. This function no longer exists in the new version of that module.

The original code looked something like this:

use Phoenix.Template, root: "lib/my_app/context/templates"

def make_pdf, do: render_template("form.pdf", %{some: "assign"})

After upgrading, these contexts failed to compile with the error undefined function render_template/2. Fortunately, although templates are one of the areas with the biggest changes in the 1.7 release, most of those changes are about decoupling, so ad hoc rendering is pretty much just as easy:

import Phoenix.Template, only: [embed_templates: 1]

embed_templates "templates/*"

def make_pdf, do: form(%{some: "assign")

Not bad. This feels just a tad more obscure without the “render” verbiage, so I may actually move this logic into a separate module.

Hope this helps! Or, if you are solving a similar problem differently, please share below.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

tfwright

tfwright OP

One importance difference I forgot to mention is that the embedded template functions return safe tuples rather than the HTML directly, so you’ll probably need to convert them into strings, e.g. using Phoenix.HTML.safe_to_string

7rans

7rans

What is the form function in your example (do: form(...)? Not sure how that points to the “form.pdf” file.

tfwright

tfwright OP

It’s form.pdf.eex file inside the dir at the path passed to embed_templates

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews