forfun

forfun

Phoenix development on Windows has always been a persistent challenge, largely because the development environment often differs from the deployment environment. Given that production environments are typically Linux-based, this system inconsistency introduces various risks and potential compatibility issues. Furthermore, the difficulty is significantly compounded if your project utilizes NIFs (Native Implemented Functions). This necessitates installing complex C/C++ toolchains, such as GCC, on Windows, which is a common source of failed compilations and setup frustrations.

To address these environment complexities, I’ve made a template that uses a container image to configure the entire development setup. The primary benefit of this approach is its minimal requirement: developers only need to install Docker Desktop; Docker handles all the underlying dependencies and configuration. This offers numerous advantages in terms of consistency and isolation. The chief drawback, however, is that this setup is not ideal for development machines with limited hard drive space.

For complete details, please refer to the GitHub repository. All Docker-related configurations are located within the dedicated dev_container folder.Crucially, it’s portable to Linux and macOS as well, allowing you to maintain a clean and uncluttered host operating system.

check this link:

https://github.com/youfun/phoenix-dev-container-template

Showing Posts 1 to 1

torstenn

torstenn

You just earned a star :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Guides/Tuts Top

rogach
I’ve spent some time understanding how to do hot code reloading with releases built using mix release, and here I’d like to detail the st...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews