cLiPPi

cLiPPi

Hey all,

I wonder if you have ever heard of / discussed Mercure, which is a protocol for real-time communication and kind of an abstraction of pub-sub.
I think that Phoenix channels are quite on par with the functionality it offers, but still wonder if anything could be gained by writing a Phoenix-Channel based implementation for a hub / server.

As far as I can see, several frameworks, i.e. Symfony and Laravel, include modules to use a mercure implementation to publish updates to client applications via HTTP/2.

There is a reference implementation written in Go, but as far as I can tell, having an Elixir implementation (which would probably perform very well) could help spread Elixir to other ecosystems such as PHP in a world where real-time updates become more important.

What do you think?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

wolf4earth

wolf4earth

Disclaimer: up until now I’ve never even heard of Mercure. So my impression might be totally off.

From what I see at a glance I fail to gather how having support for Mercure would provide a tangible advantage over what Phoenix channels already provide today.

Why do you think it would help to spread Elixir to other ecosystems?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Seems like Mercure was created to make persistent connection easier for non-persistent server environments or languages. So they created a hub between the client and the server. If you already have a client speaking their protocol then phoenix could probably be hub and application server in one. For new projects I’m not sure I’d be interested in it though.

cLiPPi

cLiPPi OP

I already mentioned I think channels are on par with the things it offers. That is why I think it would probably be very easy to implement a hub in elixir with phoenix channels.

I could also imagine streamlining the client-side channel javascript client with this protocol. Not sure if that is worth anything, but it would allow channel-based code to work with any hub.

The more concrete usecase for a hub would be adding real-live functionality to languages lacking a good tool for that (like PHP). A hub implementation (possibly the one in Elixir) could be used to overcome this for existing apps written in, say, Symfony (or any other framework that happens to have a Mercure module).

This thread is not to convince anyone that there would be merits to this. It is more trying to gather your thoughts if there are merits.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews