csalex

csalex

In our Phoenix API we have implemented a batch endpoint that executes multiple requests in a single network call. It uses Task.async_stream/3 and Phoenix.ConnTest.dispatch/5 to execute each eachrequest asynchronously and return a unified response once all requests are executed.

So far it works as expected, although we use a test related functionality (dispatch/5 is defined in Phoenix.ConnTest).

I came across an issue when an endpoint expects both query and body params. dispatch/5 expects both body and query params to be passed on body_or_params (the 5th argument of the function) and automatically converts them to query or body params based on the HTTP request method. It seems like a distinction between body and query params is not possible, judging from the source code.

I tried to explicitly set those fields on the %Plug.Conn{} struct before dispatching but again, looking at the dispatch/5 source code, the connection is recycled, essentially keeping only some cookies and relevant headers, bringing me back to the use of body_or_params parameter.

The above raise my following questions:

  1. Is there a way to differentiate body and query params using the existing functionality?
  2. On a higher level, using a test related function to achieve this batching feature does not feel as the best approach, is there any alternative to that?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

krasenyp

krasenyp

You might want to look into using YourRouter.call/2 instead of Phoenix.ConnTest.dispatch/5. Using the latter in a non-test setup just feels strange to me.

csalex

csalex OP

Thanks a lot, this solved the issue. This is also how dispatch/5 eventually executes the request

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews