jxxcarlson

jxxcarlson

Hi, I’ve set up a Phoenix app on Heroku which builds but then crashes. Below is the error message.

019-04-08T21:18:29.878617+00:00 app[web.1]: 21:18:29.878 [info] Application log_server exited: LogServer.Application.start(:normal, []) returned an error: shutdown: failed to start child: LogServer.Repo
2019-04-08T21:18:29.878635+00:00 app[web.1]: ** (EXIT) an exception was raised:
2019-04-08T21:18:29.878644+00:00 app[web.1]: ** (ArgumentError) supervisors expect the child to be a module, a {module, arg} tuple or a map with the child specification, got: {DBConnection.ConnectionPool, {Ecto.Repo.Supervisor, :start_child, [{DBConnection.ConnectionPool, :start_link, [{Postgrex.Protocol, [types: Postgrex.DefaultTypes, hostname: "localhost", port: 5432, repo: LogServer.Repo, telemetry_prefix: [:log_server, :repo], otp_app: :log_server, timeout: 15000, pool_size: 10, pool: DBConnection.ConnectionPool]}]}, Ecto.Adapters.Postgres, #Reference<0.1050692944.2562588678.94950>, %{opts: [timeout: 15000, pool_size: 10, pool: DBConnection.ConnectionPool], sql: Ecto.Adapters.Postgres.Connection, telemetry: {LogServer.Repo, :debug, [:log_server, :repo, :query]}}]}, :permanent, 5000, :worker, [DBConnection.ConnectionPool]}

Showing Posts 1 to 10

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

The shape of the data in that error message looks like what the old Supervisor.Spec.worker() would produce; can you share your application.ex file?

jxxcarlson

jxxcarlson OP

Yes, @al2o3cr , here is the application.ex file:

defmodule LogServer.Application do
  # See https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/Application.html
  # for more information on OTP Applications
  @moduledoc false

  use Application

  def start(_type, _args) do
    # List all child processes to be supervised
    children = [
      # Start the Ecto repository
      LogServer.Repo,
      # Start the endpoint when the application starts
      LogServerWeb.Endpoint
      # Starts a worker by calling: LogServer.Worker.start_link(arg)
      # {LogServer.Worker, arg},
    ]

    # See https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/Supervisor.html
    # for other strategies and supported options
    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: LogServer.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end

  # Tell Phoenix to update the endpoint configuration
  # whenever the application is updated.
  def config_change(changed, _new, removed) do
    LogServerWeb.Endpoint.config_change(changed, removed)
    :ok
  end
end

outlog

outlog

what is the db setup in prod.exs?

# Configure your database
config :hello, Hello.Repo,
  url: System.get_env("DATABASE_URL"),
jxxcarlson

jxxcarlson OP

Below is prod.exs, I fixed one stupid error at (XX), but am still getting crashes. See further on down for the error message.

use Mix.Config

config :log_server, LogServerWeb.Endpoint,
  http: [:inet6, port: System.get_env("PORT") || 4000],
  url: [scheme: "https", host: "sleepy-thicket-56112.herokuapp.com", port: 443],
  force_ssl: [rewrite_on: [:x_forwarded_proto]],
  cache_static_manifest: "priv/static/cache_manifest.json",
  secret_key_base: Map.fetch!(System.get_env(), "SECRET_KEY_BASE")

config :log_server, LogServer.Repo,  ### I had :hello -- copy-paste stupidity (XX)
       url: System.get_env("DATABASE_URL"),
       pool_size: String.to_integer(System.get_env("POOL_SIZE") || "10"),
       ssl: true

config :logger, level: :info

ERROR MESSAGE:

** (ArgumentError) supervisors expect the child to be a module, a {module, arg} tuple or a map with the
 child specification, got: {DBConnection.ConnectionPool, {Ecto.Repo.Supervisor, :start_child,
 [{DBConnection.ConnectionPool, :start_link, [{Postgrex.Protocol, [types: Postgrex.DefaultTypes, repo: 
LogServer.Repo, telemetry_prefix: [:log_server, :repo], otp_app: :log_server, timeout: 15000, pool_size: 
18, ssl: true, username: "cojsatwazejmbx", password: 
"4dfe...1ef", database: 
"daamng1gklnulc", hostname: "ec2-23-23-92-204.compute-1.amazonaws.com", port: 5432, pool: 
DBConnection.ConnectionPool]}]}, Ecto.Adapters.Postgres, 
#Reference<0.3988542057.1389756417.239247>, %{opts: [timeout: 15000, pool_size: 18, pool: 
DBConnection.ConnectionPool], sql: Ecto.Adapters.Postgres.Connection, telemetry: {LogServer.Repo, 
:debug, [:log_server, :repo, :query]}}]}, :permanent, 5000, :worker, [DBConnection.ConnectionPool]}

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

You may want to check what version of Elixir is used when your buildpack runs - the symptoms you’re describing sound just like the ones here:

jxxcarlson

jxxcarlson OP

I think that is part of the solution. I added a file elixir_buildpack.config with contents

# Erlang version
erlang_version=21.0

# Elixir version
elixir_version=1.7.4

The app builds, but now I get a different error message:

2019-04-10T01:42:15.145593+00:00 app[api]: Deploy 82c054fb by user jxxcarlson@gmail.com
2019-04-10T01:42:20.871582+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Starting process with command `mix run --no-halt`
2019-04-10T01:42:23.883024+00:00 app[web.1]: 01:42:23.882 [error] Could not find static manifest at "/app/_build/prod/lib/log_server/priv/static/cache_manifest.json". Run "mix phx.digest" after building your static files or remove the configuration from "config/prod.exs".
2019-04-10T01:42:31.000000+00:00 app[api]: Build succeeded
2019-04-10T01:43:21.338573+00:00 heroku[web.1]: State changed from starting to crashed
2019-04-10T01:43:21.347358+00:00 heroku[web.1]: State changed from crashed to starting
2019-04-10T01:43:21.212847+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Error R10 (Boot timeout) -> Web process failed to bind to $PORT within 60 seconds of launch
2019-04-10T01:43:21.212919+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Stopping process with SIGKILL
2019-04-10T01:43:21.305627+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Process exited with status 137
2019-04-10T01:43:25.048741+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Starting process with command `mix run --no-halt`
2019-04-10T01:43:27.994723+00:00 app[web.1]: 01:43:27.994 [error] Could not find static manifest at "/app/_build/prod/lib/log_server/priv/static/cache_manifest.json". Run "mix phx.digest" after building your static files or remove the configuration from "config/prod.exs".
2019-04-10T01:44:25.646995+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Error R10 (Boot timeout) -> Web process failed to bind to $PORT within 60 seconds of launch
2019-04-10T01:44:25.647086+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Stopping process with SIGKILL
2019-04-10T01:44:25.842085+00:00 heroku[web.1]: State changed from starting to crashed
2019-04-10T01:44:25.819827+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Process exited with status 137

Background: I did not set up the app with --no-brunch --no-html and have tried to reconfigure it to that end. Am using only the hashnuke/elixir buildpack`.

On heroku the app looks for the nonexistent

“/app/_build/prod/lib/log_server/priv/static/cache_manifest.json”

I don’t know if this is what is causing the crash. The app runs fine locally.

BrightEyesDavid

BrightEyesDavid

I don’t know if it’s the reason for the crash either, but have you tried removing the cache_static_manifest key from prod.exs as per the app[web.1] errors?

jola

jola

If you’re following the Phoenix heroku guide you’re probably missing server: true in your Endpoint config. It only happens if you don’t use the heroku-buildpack-phoenix-static buildpack, which does use mix phx.server in the Procfile.

As context, when you run mix phx.server it automatically runs with server: true, but not if you run with mix run --no-halt, which is what the buildpack does.

Made a PR here to update it

jxxcarlson

jxxcarlson OP

Hello jola, where would I put server: true in endpoint,ex? I see various plug .. entries in that file, and also socket ,,,, which I think is irrelevant.

jeremyjh

jeremyjh

You can also just provide your own Procfile, in your root make a file named Procfile with contents like:

web: MIX_ENV=prod mix phx.server
release: POOL_SIZE=3 MIX_ENV=prod mix ecto.migrate

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews