garj
Hi,
My phoenix app currently supports server side rendering. I would like it to support json end point as well. I know I can easily do this in router.ex by adding a scope: “/api/” and pipe_through api plug. However I do not know if I should create seperate controllers for the json app or I should modify existing controllers and render different view depending on the request. Any convention or thoughts related to this? Thanks!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hubertlepicki
From my experience, the same controllers returning JSON view only works when the app is really simple CRUD-type of thing.
The needs of API client (either JS or mobile) are usually more specific, and you may want to optimize how and what data is being sent to those clients. This could result in messy controller code.
Go with the same controllers only when the API and pages you show match really well, and the thing is really simple.
If in doubt - build separate controllers. This does not hurt that much, sometimes more code is better than less - but convoluted code.
lukerollans
Hey there!
In my opinion, you should definitely create separate controllers for your API pipeline. As you’ve already said, setup your router to scope on
/apior similar andpipe_through :api, where yourapipipeline consists of at leastplug :accepts, ["json"]The alternative would be to pattern match on
connin a single controller and either render HTML or JSON views depending on the format request header or something. To me, this mixes concerns a bit too much and makes your pipelines much less flexible.garj
Thanks for the input guys!
OvermindDL1
You don’t need to pattern match in the controller. Phoenix already handles different views based on what the browser requests. For example when I do
render(conn, :request, blah_args: blah_args)then it will render my"index.html"template called viarenderifhtmlis requested, or it will call my render function that is matched on"index.json"for the JSON conversion (I also have others too).