brainlid

brainlid

You are storing some Phoenix LiveView state in the browser. You want to retrieve that saved state as early as possible to improve the user experience.

The approach we used earlier waits for the LiveView to request the client to send the data. In your situation, you know you want the data, so why wait around to be asked for it? Can you have it automatically pushed from the client without being requested? Can you do it in a way that is reusable for other pages and other LiveViews and not just this one page?

This recipe improves the design and even makes it work for multiple LiveViews in the same application!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Very nice. I always pass at least 2 pieces of info in params: the locale and the timezone of the client; there is no better way to pass them.

The params can be either an object or a function returning an object. The second way is the best as used in the article. because during the LV session you could change any of your stored value so they would need to be re-evaluated in run-time, this is why it need to be a function.

ani

ani

Note that when the live view is mounted via a live_redirect (vs initial full page render), the element node passed to the params function will not have the full subtree, so node.querySelector("div[data-state-restore='true']") will return null and the restore data won’t be available in the connect params.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Blog Posts Top

zorn
An educational side project in Elixir, Phoenix, and Tauri. I share what I learned while wiring Automerge into the BEAM, including how I s...
New
ryanzidago
Up until then, I found it very hard to communicate to LLMs that I specifically do not want to handle X case because maybe it has never ha...
New
pckrishnadas88
In the previous part of this series, we built a Worker Pool from scratch, exploring point-to-point communication where a coordinator assi...
New
pckrishnadas88
In Elixir, send/2 is non-blocking, which means an eager producer can easily flood a slow consumer’s mailbox. Because BEAM process mailbox...
New
tomazbracic
Secure boot and a verified root filesystem on an STM32MP157F-DK2 - with Nerves of course Four links of an authenticated boot chain on an ...
New
UlfAnger
Hi all, I’ve built a small demo app to understand what an “AI agent” actually is under the hood, and to show it with Elixir’s own tools ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews