aboozaid
The flow of currently supported authentication through phoenix socket and channels is to use
connect(%{"token" => token}, socket, _connect_info)
and then a user just gets connected and can join any channel and listen for its events but what if an access token expired during listening or joining another channel? nothing happens because we just check the token in connect fun only. The solutions that come into my mind are
- To verify token in every channel’s join and its events but I don’t know if that is the best choice!
- To run a GenServer with a user token to broadcast an event if the access token expired and then terminate it
What do you think?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
tomkonidas
I do not think it matters if it expires, on connect verify the token and then assign the current user in the socket, and then you have access to the user in the assigns for you joins.
If you want to always have an active token in the client, you can use some sort of heartbeat that keeps on checking or if using JWT you can just look at when it expires and ask for a refreshed token.
aboozaid
That’s what I’m trying to do but it doesn’t make sense to me to verify it on every channel’s join and its events, There should be a way like a middleware to verify there before access any channel and its events.
If I know when it expired how could you notify a user? (server side)
tomkonidas
I guess I would create a user_auth/user/auth channel that is always connected and use that to check/verify/renew tokens between server and client
sb8244
First thing that comes to mind is to check validity on join and Process.send_after the time remaining difference to terminate the channel. If your client responds to the termination by checking it’s jwt validity and grabbing a new token, it should generally be pretty seamless.
You could handle this via the channel macro to get it across your entire system easily. Although, having a ton of Channels is probably rare.
aboozaid
Thanks for replying. I just used macro to handle this across all the channels. Here is the code