markmeeus

markmeeus

Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding horizontal scalability of the phoenix channels.
We are currently using phoenix channels to deliver realtime information to our app’s frontend.
A large portion of this data is a continuous flow of updates from an external system. Something like GPS updates.
Right now, everything is running real smooth with a few hundred concurrent users on a 2 small servers (using PG2 adapter).
We are preparing the software to deliver 100 times the data to a few 10 thousand users.
However, a specific subset of users will only need a specific subset of the data.

If I understand correctly, if we scale out to 10 servers, all servers will need to receive and process all that data, because the users’ sockets are spread out over all instances of the phoenix app.

So my question is, isn’t there a point where horizontal scalability ends because the data load is too high, and would it be a good idea to create separate clusters of the phoenix app, serving the sub-set of data to the subset of users? Or is there an easier solution I’m missing?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

idi527

idi527

Probably. You can find this point with some load testing. Tsung supports websockets, so you can model your users’ interactions with it.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Notably, Phoenix also scales vertically extremely well. You’ve probably seen this: The Road to 2 Million Websocket Connections in Phoenix - Phoenix Blog

The core concern is sensible, in that the erlang distribution scheme does have limits to how far out horizontally you can scale a cluster (10 however should be fine). However, the load you should be able to handle on a reasonable number of servers should probably last you for a long time.

idi527

idi527

:waving_hand::+1:

A proper way to load test though would be not docker on a laptop, but a couple of vms in the cloud … Just in case it comes in helpful, I have a demo libcluster+digitalocean+terraform project. It can be modified to support phoenix, and then something like tsung can be used to actually load test it.

Also GitHub - dsander/phoenix-connection-benchmark: Reproduction of the 2 million connection in Phoenix benchmark · GitHub might still come in handy.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews