Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

Hello everyone!

We’re building the seamless chat service Planga. (An official release will come soon! :smiley:)

Communication between the user’s browser with the other users is done through a Phoenix Channel (either using a websocket-connection or the fallback longpoll-transport).

Now, we’ve turned off CSRF-prevention checking, since any site is allowed to perform requests to the service (and it is then authenticated using their API key).

However, it seems that by default, Phoenix does not allow you to connect to websockets-over-ssl (wss:// as protocol) if the client application the user is visiting is a non-https website. The same is true for the longpoll transport (Phoenix disallows https://-based longpolling from a http website).

In development, where Phoenix runs without SSL itself, this is obviously not a problem, but since we’d like to allow developers that want to use our API to test things out with the system without them having to set up HTTPS certificates for their locally running development environments, we’d like to change this behaviour.

How can this behaviour be changed?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

If I understand your issue correctly, this is not a phoenix thing, but a browser thing. Browsers will generally disallow mix content. For the phoenix.js client, if you leave off the protocol, it will inherit ws or wss based on the browser window’s protocol. Phoenix.js and the elixir channels side will gladly accept wss traffic. If you let the client inherit the protocol, ie let socket = new Socket("//yourhost.com/socket"). Provided your phoenix endpoint is configured for :http and :https then you are all set.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

As I recall and that which a quick google search seems to confirm, an http page’s javascript can load wss websockets, but an https page’s javascript cannot load a ws websocket.

Qqwy

Qqwy OP

TypeCheck Core Team

Thank you both!

What seems to be going on here is the following:

  1. I specify the socket location using the protocol-agnostic domain name "//example.com/socket".
  2. From an HTTP location, such as localhost, this makes the JS socket attempt to connect to http://example.com/socket/websocket?vsn=2.0 to set up ws://example.com/socket/websocket?vsn=2.0.
  3. However, Phoenix (or rather, Nginx running in front of it) currently disallows access to the site over non-SSL, so this connection is refused. (Or rather: A 301 to the HTTPS-variant is returned, which either is not supported by the phoenix_channel.js library, or by the browser’s websocket-connection-creation logic).

What would be the best way to resolve this? I’d rather have people on HTTP still try to connect to wss resp. https chats.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Why not just always do "wss://example.com/socket instead?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews