Gigitsu

Gigitsu

I have an umbrella project with multiple apps. Two are just libraries with utilities and shared code, while the others are Phoenix applications that can be served.

For instance:

Umbrella app
├── core (shared library)
├── common (shared library)
│   
├── backoffice (phoenix app)
│   depends on
│   ├── common (in umbrella)
│   └── core (in umbrella)
├── frontend_1 (phoenix app)
│   depends on
│   ├── common (in umbrella)
│   └── core (in umbrella)
├── frontend_2 (phoenix app)
│   depends on
│   ├── common (in umbrella)
│   └── core (in umbrella)

During my development process, I need to start one Phoenix app at a time, and I do this with:

mix do --app backoffice cmd mix phx.server

But in this way, if I change something in core or common, the code is not hot reloaded and I need to restart the server for the changes to take effect.

How can I fix this? Can I start the server from the umbrella root but selecting only one app?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

Hang on @Gigitsu I have you covered with my own contribution to Phoenix xD.

Check out the :reloadable_apps option that I added to Phoenix a while ago. My use case was similar but not identical, so I am wondering if it will work for you.

config :your_app, Backoffice.Endpoint,
  reloadable_apps: [:frontend_1, :frontend_2, :backoffice, :core, :common]
Gigitsu

Gigitsu OP

Hi @hubertlepicki, thank you.

I’ve tried configuring that option with reloadable_apps: [:common, :core], but it seemed to not work because I was expecting a Rebuilding... message in the console after changing something in the common/core library. I was mistaken; the code appears to be recompiled correctly event without that message.

Do you know why only the main app triggers the Rebuilding... message in the console? Also, should I include the app itself in the reloadable_apps property or can I omit it?

For example, could this configuration be enough

config :backoffice, Backoffice.Endpoint,
  reloadable_apps: [:core, :common]

or do I need to explicitly put :backoffice like below?

config :backoffice, Backoffice.Endpoint,
  reloadable_apps: [:backoffice, :core, :common]

I’ve also added more patterns to the live_reload configuration in this way:

config :backoffice, Backoffice.Endpoint,
  live_reload: [
    patterns: [
      ~r"priv/static/.*(js|css|png|jpeg|jpg|gif|svg)$",
      ~r"priv/gettext/.*(po)$",
      ~r"lib/backoffice/(controllers|live|components)/.*(ex|heex)$"
      
      # core and common patters
      ~r"../core/lib/core/.*/.*(ex|heex)$",
      ~r"../common/lib/common/.*/.*(ex|heex)$"
    ]
  ]

but I don’t know if it’s correct or not.

Thank you for both your answer and your contribution.

Edit:
I’ve noticed that I need to manually reload the page to trigger the compilation of the core/common libs

samaravilha

samaravilha

By adding this extra config and setting the paths on live_reload I was able to get live reload working on my umbrella app perfectly, without any manual action.
Mine looks like:

~r"../mula/lib/.*(ex|heex)$"
Gigitsu

Gigitsu OP

Thanks @samaravilha.

I’ve managed to get code reload working by adding the following configurations in my dev.exs file

config :phoenix_live_reload, :dirs, [
  Path.expand("../apps/my_app", __DIR__),
  Path.expand("../apps/common", __DIR__),
  Path.expand("../apps/core", __DIR__)
]
config :my_app, MyApp.Endpoint,
  live_reload: [
    patterns: [
      ~r"../common/lib/common/(\w+/)*.*(ex|heex)$",
      ~r"../core/lib/core/(\w+/)*.*(ex|heex)$",
      ~r"priv/gettext/.*(po)$",
      ~r"priv/static/.*(js|css|png|jpeg|jpg|gif|svg)$",
      ~r"lib/my_app/(controllers|live|components)/.*(ex|heex)$"
    ]
  ]
config :my_app, MyApp.Endpoint,
  ...
  reloadable_apps: [:my_app , :core, :common],
  ...
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews