xgeek116

xgeek116

I have defined a custom exception :


  defmodule UnkownBookError do
    @moduledoc false
    defexception message: "Unknown book id", plug_status: 404
  end

In ErrorView module I have added my custom error view func :

  def render("error.json", %{message: message}) do
    %{errors: %{detail: message}}
  end

But I always get this in the console :

[debug] Converted error Booking.BookHandler.UnkownBookError to 404 response

and I get a text response in Postamn instead of JSON :

What I’m missing here ?

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 4

fuelen

fuelen

  1. What headers do you have? Have you sent Accept: application/json?
  2. Matching by template name is invalid. In case of 404, the template is the following: 404.json, not error.json.
  3. The second parameter is not an exception, but assigns. The exception could be found in assigns.reason.

If you want generic handler for JSON format:

def render(<<_::binary-size(3)>> <> ".json" = template, assigns) do
  %{
    error: Phoenix.Controller.status_message_from_template(template),
    description: Exception.message(assigns.reason)
  }
end

but don’t show a message from all exceptions, as they may contain not public information

xgeek116

xgeek116 OP

Thanks a lot @fuelen , so I get that “error_view.ex” is responsible from rendring theese errors, so what is the purpose of “fallback_controller.ex” ?

For example in my file “fallback_controller.ex” I have only :

I’m not defining how Forbidden (403 status) will be handled, and If I try a forbidden action I get the correct error :

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

action_fallback is about consolidating common error return values (of your business logic) and how they’re transformed to http responses (it’s about data).

MyAppWeb.ErrorView is a view, so it’s about transforming elixir data into json/html/whatever format your http response should be formatted in. This one specifically is about rendering responses for the various http error codes.

arcanemachine

arcanemachine

Wow, now that is some pattern-matching wizardry right there.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews