tom-gerken

tom-gerken

I’m trying to generate some radio buttons dynamically. It’s easy enough when I have two options I can use = radio_button(f, :field_name, “false”) and radio_button(f, :field_name, “true”) . But what if I want to generate several options from a map? Are there any markup generators I can use to keep my code dry? Like: TemplateHelper.generate_radio(data)?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

peerreynders

peerreynders

What about using a list comprehension?

https://hexdocs.pm/phoenix/templates.html#examples

scan down to Displaying Lists

tom-gerken

tom-gerken OP

Thank you, that link was super helpful! I’ve got something working using the following:

<div class="form-control">
  <%= for l <- parse_function @data do %>
    <div class="pretty p-default p-curve">
        <%= radio_button(f, :field_name, elem(l, 1)) %>
        <div class="state">
            <label><%= elem(l, 0)%></label>
        </div>
    </div>
  <% end %>
</div>

Is there an approach where I can encapsulate that in another function, so I could just call something like radio_group(@data, :field_name)?

mikemccall

mikemccall

You can use the render function in a view. You can create a shared view (name it whatever, SharedView, FormHelpersView, etc) and move the rendering there.

# in the template, form.html.eex
render MyApp.SharedView, "radio_group.html", form: f, data: @data, field: :field %>

2 options for the shared view template. Return the html from the view’s render function or create a template.

defmodule MyAppWeb.SharedView do
  use MyAppWeb, :view
  
  def parse_function(data) do 
    ...
  end

  # return html from view function
  def render("radio_group.html", %{form: f, data: data, field: field) do
    ~E(
         <div class="form-control">
           <%= for l <- parse_function data do %>
           <div class="pretty p-default p-curve">
             <%= radio_button(f, field, elem(l, 1)) %>
              <div class="state">
                <label><%= elem(l, 0)%></label>
             </div>
           </div>
          <% end %>
      </div>
    )
  end

end

If you do not want to return the html in the view function you can create a template for it like any other view template/shared/radio_group.html.eex.

Reference:
sigil_E/2

Phoenix View

The examples shown for rendering custom scripts in the phoenix docs for render_existing/3 really helped me.

tom-gerken

tom-gerken OP

Mike thank you for the response, and the links to read more information. I really appreciate how this community values helping and learning! In that spirit, I just wanted to add one piece I learned is that the close parenthesis “)” symbol needs to be escaped in sigil E. So I had to rewrite

<%= radio_button(f, field, elem(l, 1)) %>

as

<%= radio_button(f, field, elem(l, 1\)\) %>

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

That’s why I like using """ or so for template sigils. :slight_smile:

NobbZ

NobbZ

Any closing delimiter matching the opening delimiter has to be escaped, that is by design of the sigils.,

As a rule of thumb, when you have multiline content just use """ or '''. They will rarely occur in your literal. If your snippet were a onliner, you could also use ', [/], or {/} as delimiter, which seem to not clash on a first glance.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews