pedromvieira

pedromvieira

What the correct way to Phoenix send a new generated file (non text, example gz).

I’m trying with full path (with application dir) or regular path, neither are working.
Tried with File.read! also.

conn
|> put_resp_content_type("application/gzip")
|> put_resp_header("content-disposition", "attachment; filename=#{filename}.gz")
|> send_file(200, full_path)

I can send text files with this:

conn
|> put_resp_content_type(filetype)
|> put_resp_header("content-disposition", "attachment; filename=#{filename}")
|> send_resp(200, content)

The only difference is compress or not:

attr =
  case compress do
    true ->
      :compressed
    false ->
      :utf8
  end
file =
  File.open!(temp_file, [:write, attr])

In both cases, file is corrected created at “temp/”, but I still can’t send compressed file.

Showing Posts 1 to 9

wmnnd

wmnnd

send_file/3 expects a file path as the third argument. It seems that in your code, instead of a file path you’re passing in a variable called content which seems to suggest it’s a binary with the actual file contents you want to send.

pedromvieira

pedromvieira OP

It was a mistake when I created the question. I’m sending correct full path to both cases.
The only difference is compress or not:

attr =
  case compress do
    true ->
      :compressed
    false ->
      :utf8
  end
file =
  File.open!(temp_file, [:write, attr])

In both cases, file is corrected created at “temp/”, but I still can’t send compressed file.

idi527

idi527

So you pass file (which is :file.io_device()) to send_file (which expects a binary path to the file)? Can it be the problem?

pedromvieira

pedromvieira OP

I’m passing the same type to both. Binnary paths.

"..temp/report.csv"

"..temp/report.csv.gz"

From IEX i can read them both:

File.read!("..temp/report.csv.gz")

File.read!("..temp/report.csv")

When I inspect Phoenix, the gz returns empty.

wmnnd

wmnnd

How did you verify that the .gz file actually exists then? Maybe you could show the full code in context.

pedromvieira

pedromvieira OP

I can see and fully test both compressed and non compressed on my filesystem (and on IEX).

All other functions related:

  def to_csv(data, file_name, compress \\ true) do
    {extension, attr} =
      case compress do
        true ->
          {".gz", [:write, :utf8, :compressed]}
        "true" ->
          {".gz", [:write, :utf8, :compressed]}
        _ ->
          {"", [:write, :utf8]}
      end
    temp_file =
      file_name <> ".csv" <> extension
    file =
      File.open!(temp_file, attr)
    stream_data =
      data
      |> Stream.map(&(&1))
      |> CSVLixir.write
    {_full_path, _content} =
      stream_file(stream_data, file, temp_file)
  end

  def stream_file(stream_data, file, file_name) do
    _stream_content =
      stream_data
      |> Stream.each(&(IO.write(file, &1)))
      |> Stream.run()
    dir =
      Application.app_dir(:phishx) |> String.split("_") |> List.first()
    full_path =
      dir <> file_name
    content =
      File.read!(full_path)
    {full_path, content}
  end

  def content(filetype, filename, module, target, subdomain, params) do
    compress =
      params["compress"]
    {_final_status, _full_path, _final_content} =
      case filetype do
        "csv" ->
          {full_path, content} =
            module
            |> apply(target, [subdomain, params])
            |> Format.multiple_to_array()
            |> Format.to_csv(filename, compress)
          {:ok, full_path, content}
      end
  end

  def deliver(conn, status, full_path, _filetype, filename, content) do
    case status do
      :ok ->
        conn
        |> put_resp_content_type("application/gzip")
        |> put_resp_header("content-disposition", "attachment; filename=#{filename}.gz")
        |> send_file(200, full_path)
      :error ->
        conn
        |> put_flash(:error, gettext("Export failed."))
        |> redirect(to: NavigationHistory.last_path(conn, 1))
    end
  end
dom

dom

Is the :utf8 option really compatible with :compressed in [:write, :utf8, :compressed]?

wmnnd

wmnnd

So how is the deliver function called?

pedromvieira

pedromvieira OP

It’s working with Path.expand().
Now I can call compress or not and both return data.

  def base_dir(base \\ "temp/") do
    base
    |> Path.expand()
    |> Kernel.<>("/")
  end

This problem resulted in a module that I will upload to HEX to work with really deeped maps.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews