jamesmintram

jamesmintram

So I am trying to figure out how to work with Forms + Many to many relationships.

Lets say I have the following

schema "tour" do
    field :name, :string
    many_to_many(
      :city,
      City,
      join_through: "tour_cities",
      on_replace: :delete
    )
end

schema "city" do
    field :name, :string
end

And lets assume my tour_controller->create method
receives a params map like the following:

%{“city” => 1, “name” => “Best tour in the world”}

City is supplied via a dropdown in the form the
contents populated via a query on the City table.
1 is the ID of the city I want to relate to the tour I am about to create.

How do I make this work from the perspective of the
controller/changeset/whatever?

I have experimented with put_assoc, but that only
seems to work with a fully loaded Changeset. I
would ideally like to not have to hit the database
again to retrieve full changesets - when all I really
need is the ID of the City.

What I have made work:

put_assoc(:cities, new_tour, [%City{...fully loaded}, %City{...fully loaded}])

What doesn’t work:

put_assoc(:cities, new_tour, [%City{id: 2}, %City{id: 4}])

This example is simplified, eventually I want to
present the user with the option of adding multiple
cities at once in the form. But before I get to that,
I am trying to keep the form simple while I get the
many to many relationship working.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

For many to many I like to follow this post…

jamesmintram

jamesmintram OP

Hey,

Thanks for that link. It is a really useful article.

After thinking some more (and reading that article) I think it makes sense to retrieve the associated items from the DB before adding them to the changeset.

In my case I need to apply an additional filter in the query to ensure the IDs supplied via form submission are valid - so there is no avoiding that additional round trip to the DB.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews