Exadra37

Exadra37

This is a copy/paste of my question in StackOverflow, but once we have an amazing community, I thought to also put it here :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: Still a beginner in Elixir and Phoenix. I just play with time to time, with months of interval. Please fill free to provide honest feedback and say where I am missing something or where i am totally wrong.

Parameter Validation

I want to be able to do in the Phoenix Router the validation of the :date parameter for the route /todos/:date, but I am not able to find any documentation or library to achieve this in the Phoenix Routing docs, but I found the Plug Validator library, that looks like what I need, but doesn’t work with the Phoenix Framework, just with Elixir projects.

The Code

The Router:

defmodule TasksWeb.Router do
  use TasksWeb, :router

  pipeline :browser do
    plug :accepts, ["html"]
    plug :fetch_session
    plug :fetch_live_flash
    plug :protect_from_forgery
    plug :put_secure_browser_headers
    plug :put_root_layout, {TasksWeb.LayoutView, :root}
  end

  pipeline :api do
    plug :accepts, ["json"]
  end

  scope "/", TasksWeb do
    pipe_through :browser

    get "/", PageController, :index
    live "/todos", TodoLive
    
    # THIS IS THE ROUTE I WANT TO VALIDATE THE PARAMETER :date
    live "/todos/:date", TodoLive
  end
end

The validator I am using currently elsewhere in the code:

defmodule Utils.Validators.Date do

  def valid_iso8601?(%Ecto.Changeset{} = changeset, field) when is_atom(field) do
    date = changeset |> Ecto.Changeset.get_field(field)

    case Date.from_iso8601(date) do
      {:ok, _valid_date} ->
        changeset

      {:error, :invalid_format} ->
        Ecto.Changeset.add_error(changeset, field, "Date '#{date}' has an invalid format - Valid format: YYYY-MM-DD")

      {:error, :invalid_date} ->
        Ecto.Changeset.add_error(changeset, field, "Date '#{date}' is invalid - e.g. 2020-04-31 (April only have 30 days)")
    end
  end

  def valid_iso8601?(date) when is_binary(date) do
    case Date.from_iso8601(date) do
      {:ok, _valid_date} ->
        :ok

      {:error, :invalid_format} ->
        {:invalid_format, "Date '#{date}' has an invalid format - Valid format: YYYY-MM-DD"}

      {:error, :invalid_date} ->
        {:invalid_date, "Date '#{date}' is invalid - e.g. 2020-04-31 (April only have 30 days)"}
    end
  end
end

The Goal is to Validate at the Edge

My goal is to be able to call Utils.Validators.Date.valid_iso8601?(date) from the Phoenix Router, but only when the Route is matched.

I know that a lot of libraries exist to validate this in the Controller or from anywhere else, but what I want is to validate the :date at the edge, aka when the route is matched, not inside my application logic.

So my question is if anyone knows a library that allows to achieve this in the Phoenix Router or how I can write a plug that only is invoked when the route matches, because I know I can write one that inspect all requests, but that is not optimal, and a waste of computer resources.

I would love to be able to do like this:

live "/todos/:date", TodoLive, plug: MyValidatorPlug

Or in alternative as I describe below in the Pipeline section.

Pipelines

I forgot to mention them in my original question, but @fhdhsni kindly remembered me of them and pointed me to a possible solution, but while that may achieve the goal for one route, during my thinking about it I found it to not scale when my router grows, because I will need to wrap each route in a scope for that pipeline.

What I want to mean by scoping the routes to use the pipeline is:

  scope "/", TasksWeb do
    pipe_through :browser
    get "/", PageController, :index

    scope "/todos" do
      live "/", TodoLive

      pipe_through :validator
      live "/:date", TodoLive
      # NOW ANY ROUTE ADDED HERE WILL ALSO BE EXECUTED THROUGH THE VALIDATOR PIPELINE
      # And this is why I don't want to go down this path...
    end
  end

But if was possible to do like this:

live "/todos/:date", TodoLive, pipe_through: :my-validator-pipeline 

Then my problem would be solved :wink:

Showing Posts 1 to 5

Exadra37

Exadra37 OP

Turns out that I was wrong when said this… I just followed their docs to the letter, and the code was not compiling, but after a night of sleep I realized how to do it:

defmodule TasksWeb.Router do
  use TasksWeb, :router

  pipeline :browser do
    plug :accepts, ["html"]
    plug :fetch_session
    #plug :fetch_flash
    plug :fetch_live_flash
    plug :protect_from_forgery
    plug :put_secure_browser_headers
    plug :put_root_layout, {TasksWeb.LayoutView, :root}

    # *** NEW CODE TO ENABLE THE PLUG VALIDATOR CHECK ***
    plug Plug.Validator, on_error: &TasksWeb.Router.validation_error_callback/2
  end

  pipeline :api do
    plug :accepts, ["json"]
  end

  scope "/", TasksWeb do
    pipe_through :browser
    get "/", PageController, :index

    live "/todos", TodoLive

    # *** NEW CODE TO ENABLE THE PLUG VALIDATOR CHECK ***
    live "/todos/:date", TodoLive, private: %{validate: %{date: &Utils.Validators.Date.valid_iso8601?/1}}
  end

  # *** CALLBACK TO HANDLE THE ERRORS RETURNED BY THE PLUG VALIDATOR CHECK ***
  def validation_error_callback(conn, _errors) do
    conn
    |> put_status(:not_found)
    |> put_view(TasksWeb.ErrorView)
    |> render("404.html")
    |> halt()
  end

  # Other scopes may use custom stacks.
  # scope "/api", TasksWeb do
  #   pipe_through :api
  # end
end

erez-rabih

erez-rabih

Library author here
I am glad that you found the right way to make it work with Phoenix framework
Would you be kind and make a PR correcting the docs where they are wrong or misleading? This way other developers would be able to use it for their needs

Exadra37

Exadra37 OP

Here it is the pull request :slight_smile:

7rans

7rans

Seems to me that Phoenix could really use something like this built-in with a more elegant syntax.

Exadra37

Exadra37 OP

I agree :slight_smile:

@erez-rabih Are you still maintaining the repo? My PR is still open. I can take over the maintenance of the library if you want.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews