Phoenix In Action (Manning)

Don’t forget you can get 35% off the ebook using the code: devtalk.com :023:

Note:

Check out this thread for help running code in later versions of Phoenix: Phoenix in Action book: Running the code in 2023

8 Likes

So much needed, when will it complete?

1 Like

On the product site it states “Summer 2018 (estimated)”.

2 Likes

Given 14 chapters/350 pages “Summer 2018” is pretty aggressive - at one chapter a month the projection would be December 2018. These estimated completion dates should be treated as “we would love to have it done bytargets. A polished product will often take longer. But via the “Manning Early Access Program” it’s possible to get the first (sometimes rough) peek at the content (and to perhaps contribute to it’s development or refinement).

Judging by the planned table of contents a large number of the chapters seem to focus on “the application & Ecto persistence” - chapter 3 provides a Phoenix overview but then “Phoenix” itself seems to take backseat until chapter 9.

1 Like

Just noticed this…
https://www.manning.com/dotd

Get Half off Phoenix in Action
Use code dotd050318 at checkout before this deal expires in 16 hours.

MEAP
4 of 14 chapters available

1 Like

It is unfortunate that the book does not have more chapters… I am not sure if it is still in progress.
as it seems to be stuck on chapter 4.

1 Like

The MEAP started in December with 2 chapters.

• Chapter 3 released 2018-Feb-13
  • Chapter 4 released 2018-Mar-30

… I don’t know if that classifies as “stuck”. The impending 1.4 release could make it kind of difficult to judge what content won’t need to change.

The livebook doesn’t scamble the figures or code listings if you want to have a quick look.

1 Like

With 1.4 looming, and so little content currently available, I’m sorry, but I don’t think this makes a worthwhile buy, discount included.

Maybe 1.4 will be such a change that this book will still be relevant.
Maybe the book’s author(s) will scramble to update.
But as it stands, too little content, that was obsolete on conception (c’mon, in Dec. 2017 the 1.4 roadmap was well known, not to say anticipated)… sorry, no sell.
(And let me tell you, I’ve bought just about every book on Elixir you can think of, including obscure, self-publishing, ones. It takes a lot for me to say “pass” on an Elixir resource…)

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

12 chapters are now available, 2 are remaining :slight_smile:

all chapters are now available…

What’s new?
All chapters have been updated.

Phoenix in Action is nearing the finish line! All chapters have been copyedited, tech reviewed, proofread, and updated. We still have some more polishing to do as we prepare the book for publication, so there is still time for you to post any final corrections or comments in the liveBook Discussion Forum.

What’s next?
The final eBook will be released April 2019, followed by the print book, and ePub and Kindle formats.

3 Likes

Looks like it actually covers Phoenix 1.4 :slight_smile:

This is screenshot from the final PDF.

1 Like

Phoenix In Action is Manning’s Deal of the Day today.

Get half off the eBook or pBook. Enter dotd051319lt in the Promotional Code box when you check out.
Use this same code to save 50% on Elixir in Action, Second Edition and The Little Elixir & OTP Guidebook.

3 Likes

The final book has been released! I’ve got my physical copies and have heard from others around the world getting theirs. I hope you all enjoy it! If you don’t already have it, consider buying it through my special link. I’ll (as the author) get a little extra cut from any purchases.

6 Likes

Greetings! I want to share how much I like one of the concepts in the book Phoenix in Action, which is assuming from the beginning that your app might be used in multiple ways in the future.
Before I switched to Elixir, I was writing PHP application. In most cases, I would assume I am building a web app and most of the business logic are written in the controller. At some points, I decouple the business logic to the service layer to increase the flexibility of the application.
However, in the book, it teaches to start by writing app logic as Elixir application. Then, bring the Elixir app into the Phoenix app.
An example architecture:

• project_root/apps/your_app - elixir app (app logic)
  • project_root/apps/your_app_web - web app

With this architecture, you can have many entry points to the app logic, e.g. API, embedded device. For example, if you are going to support the mobile app with API, you can add project_root/apps/your_app_api and the app logic is sharing between web and API.
Happy learning!

This was originally posted at https://elixirforum.com/t/phoenix-in-action-book-club/20456/3?u=co0lsky

1 Like

Has someone used Phoenix in action recently?

I used it today with Phoenix version 1.4.17 (the book uses version 1.4.2)and the latest versions of all the dependencies and when I ran mix ecto.create in chapter 6, it was giving an error/warning as warning: could not find Ecto repos in any of the apps: [:auction, :auction_web]... and the task wasn’t completing and was asking the -r flag.
I thought, maybe I’ve missed something, so I went back to the page in book where he generates the umbrella app, and did all the steps from there. When it failed again, I copied the code from the exercise files and will use that instead.
I tried my best and failed to find the reason, but will still want to know what was breaking it.

Now I realized that I should have shared everything in the forum before deleting the code, but can’t undo it now.

If anyone else has experienced this problem, and has solved it, please share your solution!

Hey, in chapter 6 there is no need to run mix ecto.create since there is just the FakeRepo implemented. The actual Auction.Repo will be implemented in chapter 7.

1 Like

@pillaiindu Did @daskycodes answer get you going in the right direction again?