vnz

vnz

Some 2-3 months ago we started a Phoenix 1.4 project. The designer uses Pug https://pugjs.org/ for generating the basic html design, as well as the initial js/css. He uses some own pipeline for generating all this (using gulp), then I get the generated html, split it and use in Elixir templates (eex). This has proven to be a major setback and it’s taking big time on my side to integrate the changes. The generated files are too big, lots of html/svg ****, etc. On top of that, we take the generated js/css and integrate it with the webpack pipeline of Phoenix, with additional changes. We took a Vue.js dev onboard for some of the features that call the Phoenix backend/api. So as you might guess, it’s a big pile of fancy technologies, everyone coming from their background and not seeing the big picture of the project, and at the bottom line it looks like a big pile of ****. On the other side, business ppl have been pressing too much on releasing the product live, even though it’s not finished.
So, the question is: what would you have done differently in such situations? How would you integrate the work of some designer with some weird pipeline who delivers you bunch of html/js/css? How can one (if possible) get out of this pile of ****? I have lost the enthusiasm to work in this project, feel burnt out, and just want to finish and get out.

Showing Posts 1 to 6

peerreynders

peerreynders

What about combining Vue.js + Pug, serving it through node and having Phoenix strictly as a JSON backend - i.e. take EEx out of the picture entirely?

It not an unusual approach.

vnz

vnz OP

That’s the most logical solution, but I don’t think business ppl will agree on this - they just want the product shipped as soon as possible.

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

It’s not clear what the requirements are, but it sounds like the use of a template language like pugjs was not at all needed. So that would be my first change in retrospect. Writing HTML is never the bottleneck, so I avoid template engines wherever possible. It sounds like the designer should have delivered well constructed HTML/css, but perhaps there are some client-side requirements we are missing.

vnz

vnz OP

The basic functionalities were given to me in the beginning, but the requirements were known add-hock: the designer finished his work couple of weeks ahead, the business ppl gave him ideas how the site should look, and then it was given to me and deduce the functionalities that have/had to be implemented in Phoenix. Then the new changes are added to the design, and propagated to me…

peerreynders

peerreynders

Then the new changes are added to the design, and propagated to me…

To speed this up it may be make sense to get the Designer back for a few sessions if possible so that you can pick his brain about the design rather that having to “deduce the functionalities” yourself.

In either case you may still end up discovering that either EEx or Vue.js has to go (Once Vue.js enters the picture there really isn’t much to do for EEx other than providing a container of the page body - with Vue.js gone you need a way to enable the page dynamics in concert with EEx).

jihantoro

jihantoro

sorry but expug has many error

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews