yas

yas

Hello,

I have a template which holds a form with a few elements. I need to initialize the JS for some of these elements using jquery, but I keep getting an error saying: “$ is not defined”. I followed all the steps in this post: Setup, import and use Javascript in Phoenix and also from the official Phoenix docs.

Here is the npm section of my brunch-config.js:

      npm: {
        enabled: true,
        whitelist: ["jquery"],
        globals: {
          $: 'jquery',
          jQuery: 'jquery'
        }
      }

Here is how I am calling the script from my template:

    <script>
    $('.ui.tags.dropdown').dropdown({
      keys: {delimiter: 13},
        allowAdditions: true
    });
    </script>

Please let me know if I can provide more information.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Showing Posts 1 to 3

amnu3387

amnu3387

And you’re including app.js in your layout/page right? If so have you tried moving the script around on the page to be at the beginning/end of the body tag?

ryh

ryh

My understanding is that you have to include the app at the beginning of the document in the <head>. I don’t really like that, so I found this:

You put this in the head:

...
<head>
...
<script>(function(w,d,u){w.readyQ=[];w.bindReadyQ=[];function p(x,y){if(x=="ready"){w.bindReadyQ.push(y);}else{w.readyQ.push(x);}};var a={ready:p,bind:p};w.$=w.jQuery=function(f){if(f===d||f===u){return a}else{p(f)}}})(window,document)</script>
</head>

And then you put this after your <script src="app.js"></script>:

<script>(function($,d){$.each(readyQ,function(i,f){$(f)});$.each(bindReadyQ,function(i,f){$(d).bind("ready",f)})})(jQuery,document)</script>
OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Remember that things compiled into modules are not available at global scope nor should they be. Instead of doing things like $... you should be doing things like require("jQuery")... (if using brunch) or so (which you can bind to a variable if you want).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews