bluejack

bluejack

Building out an API server to handle json query/response. Setting up the environment I select all the recommended flags for building an API only server.

mix phx.new myjsonapp-api --no-html --no-mailer \ 
  --no-gettext --binary-id --app moondream_api --no-assets

When running it I get a boatload of errors pertaining to to the lack of an available live reload socket.

Researching, I see that the --no-html is incompatible with live reload, which is a bit of a bummer, but I get it.

So, I set code_reloader to false in the dev.exs endpoint configuration, but that didn’t stop the errors.

So, I for further good measure I commented out the code in the endpoint itself, as well as the LiveDashboard configuration.

None of these things seem to stop the attempt of some part of the framework to keep making calls to GET /phoenix/live_reload/socket/websocket

Question 1 – is it actually confirmed true that you can’t do live reload on a json api server?

Question 2 – what am I missing by way of turning off this very nice development feature?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

So first of all you should differenciate between phoenix live reload and phoenix code reloader.

Phoenix live reload makes a website reload when any of the files you have a pattern for changed. That’s a JS feature and hence only works with html pages. A json response in a browser cannot execute JS and therefore the server cannot tell the JS client to reload the current page. This is even a separate package, because it only makes sense in a limited context.

Phoenix code reloader is a different feature. It doesn’t cause http requests being made, but if there happens to be an http request it makes sure to recompile any changed files, so the response is built using latest changes in source files and not using stale logic. That plug is part of the phoenix library and therefore generally available if you use phoenix. That one is useful to developing any webserver functionality no matter if html or any other content types are served.

bluejack

bluejack OP

Thanks for that clarification; I did not understand the distinction.

And furthermore, I have ascertained that the answer is that I am running my api server on the same port that I was previously running my webserver on, and an open tab to my localhost was polling home for updates… to my api server, which rightfully didn’t know what it was talking about!

Whee!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews