kadam

kadam

Hello there,

Short summary:
I would like to have some pages (not necessarily liveviews) for new features served by a phoenix app, but keep most of the rails app and solve the navigation and routing between the two of them.

Bit longer:
We have a fairly big rails application and we have a smaller phoenix app which serves currently as an API.

The phoenix app is hosted as a subdomain of the ‘core’ app so a shared-session is already set up between the two applications. The shared “partials” are also implemented in both sides (headers, subheaders) and the links are pointing to the proper servers in both sides.
Currently all the requests are handled by the rails server first.

Our goal would be to implement new features in Phoenix and also move some of the existing ones in time.

My question is what would be the best approach to handle the routing, the links and all the shared functionality between the two application?

Thank you in advance!

Most Liked

RudManusachi

RudManusachi

Hi, @kadam

One approach I took in the past, (though, I was migrating the API service only) was:
All requests go to the phoenix app at first. Whatever, can be handled there - served from there, the rest are “proxied” over to rails app.

And incrementally adding features to phoenix app, adding a route so they no longer forwarded to rails.

There is a Plug for that poteto/terraform . Take a look at its source, it’s pretty simple.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews