hackersleepyhead
I am trying to build a normal CRUD application using Phoenix.LiveView, Here I am facing an issue in passing or setting a Value is ASSIGN or IN SOCKET.
I have a LiveView code
Index.ex
defmodule Example.Index do
use Phoenix.LiveView
@default_state %{
is_editing?: false,
user_id: nil,
}
def render(assign) do
ExampleWeb.render("index.html", assign)
end
def mount(_params, _session, socket) do
users = Example.get_users()
{:ok, assign(socket, %{@default_state | users: users})}
end
def handle_event("edit-user", %{"user-id" => user_id}, socket) do
new_socket =
socket
|> assign(:user_id, user_id)
{:noreply,
live_redirect(new_socket,
to: ExampleWeb.Router.Helpers.users_edit_path(new_socket, __MODULE__, user_id),
replace: false
)}
end
end
Template file
<div class="card">
<%= if @is_editing? do %>
<%= live_component(@socket, ExampleWeb.Users.EditFormComponent, id: :edit_user) %>
<%= end %>
<%= if @is_editing? != true do %>
<div class="card-header">
<strong>Users</strong>
<a class="btn btn-sm btn-success ml-3 pull-right" phx-click="new">
<i class="fa fa-plus mr-1"></i> Create
</a>
</div>
<%= end %>
</div
here is my component.ex code
defmodule ExampleWeb.Users.EditFormComponent do
use Phoenix.LiveComponent
def render(assigns) do
UserView.render("update.html", assigns)
end
def mount(socket) do
{:ok, assign(socket, changeset: User.changeset(%User{}))}
end
end
the problem is here I am not able to get the user-id which is set/update in LiveView file and also not able to access the PARAMS component level.
Can somebody suggest or provide a solution for this??
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
sfusato
You’re not passing the
user_idto your component:hackersleepyhead
actually, the problem was with the page Refresh, it was keep updating the assigns to default.
benwilson512
You also may need to make use of
updatePhoenix.LiveComponent — Phoenix LiveView v1.2.5 to actually assign the passed in value to the live component.What do you mean?
hackersleepyhead
I have tried, using update and preload as well, but still, the value inside the assigns is nil, this happens after the page refresh.
What I am trying to achieve is:
LiveView -
list of users
EditUserComponent - I set the user-id in assigns
When the view changes - to edit user for the first time I get user-id this is fine, but when I refresh the page on this componentView the user-id becomes nil.
I want the user-id in LiveComponent always - bcoz based on the user-id I fetch the user details to pre-populate values.
I think this issue occurs bcoz of URL change -
USER list - /users
EDIT. - /users/1/edit
this might be the problem, I don’t know how to handle this.
benwilson512
can you show more complete code for both views and the component?