DavidVII

DavidVII

I have a form with a select tag which ties to the template_id. If a template_id is selected, I want to update the view to show some additional content. This content changes based on the template_id that was selected.

Now, because the phx-change event is fired whenever a change happens at the form level, the code that is in charge of assigning a template to the socket based on that template_id is run every time a change happens on the form.

This means that after a form is submitted and there is a validation error, the template_id is set to a specific ID. If I then change the select to an option with a nil value, the select tag stays on the option with the template_id from the original request.

Here’s my select_tag:

<%= select f, :template_id,
    [{"Custom", nil}] ++ Enum.map(@templates, &{&1.name, &1.id}),
    value: (if @current_template, do: @current_template.id, else: nil)
%>

Here’s a quick gif of the issue. Notice what happens after the validation error message pops up. I attempt to choose “custom” and while the template gets set, the select tag does not update:

CloudApp

The select tag seems to work fine before submitting the form, but once I submit the form, the changeset changes in a way that keeps the select tag from knowing which option to choose on my change event.

I tried replacing the value option from the select tag and setting the selected option instead and it makes matters worse somehow:

CloudApp

Am I doing something wrong with the select tag? The only way I’ve been able to get this to work the way I expect is by updating the changeset every time the form is changed (because the phx-change event doesn’t support binding to specific inputs), but I don’t want to update the changeset every time there is a change, this results in running validations before I want to.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :blush:

Showing Posts 1 to 2

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

I’m not sure if it’s relevant, but there’s specific handling in the implementation of select for when value is nil:

https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix_html/blob/22085530f23322d360ddf8944f08d468c836f1b1/lib/phoenix_html/form.ex#L1121

My reading of this code is that when @current_template in your code above is nil, then the value from :template_id will be used instead.

If the validations are inexpensive (validate_required etc) then running them early is harmless - form_for ignores errors on the changeset if there’s no action set.

DavidVII

DavidVII OP

Thanks for the response! I’ll have to keep tinkering to see if I can come up with a work around. I imagine this has to do with the LiveView being Live since this all works nicely outside of LiveView.

The issue come clear after the form was submitted and the changeset has an action. I’m serializing some data before inserting/updating I don’t want that to happen every time there’s a change on the form. I might end up updating the changeset if there’s no other way.

Thanks again for the response!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

HR_Sportograf
Backend Developer for Elixir (F/M/D) - Shape the Future of Sports Photography with Us!(German Version below) About us We are athletes –...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews