fteschke

fteschke

I wrote a short description of how to use HeadlessUI components with LiveView:

Tailored to HeadlessUI, but in fact not HeadlesUI specific, but applicable to React components in general.

Approach:

  • React Component
  • Wrapped in Web Component that handles server->client (attribute changes) and client-server (events) communication
  • Rendered to light DOM (not shadow DOM, due to lacking HeadlessUI support)
  • micro LiveView Hook with glue code push LiveView events to server

Pros:

  • integrates well with minimal esbuild assets pipeline
  • web component is a good interface boundary for LiveView / “custom” Javascript
  • sprinkle minimal amounts of Javascript where necessary

Cons:

  • use with caution, prefer LiveView Phoenix.LiveView.JS bindings where sufficient

Do you use similar techniques? What are your experiences?
Are there better ways of implementing this approach?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

While I really like the idea and effort put into those components, I’ll never understand why I’d use them, when they cannot replace native inputs. It’s nice to have a fancy combobox (especially for multi select), but not if it means all my phx-change / phx-submit form bindings break, because the input doesn’t integrate with a form.

fteschke

fteschke OP

Form integration is a good point. But quite easily and cleanly done using a hidden input as a “bridge”.
What do you think?

// ComboboxFormWebcomponent.jsx
export default class ComboboxFormWebcomponent extends HTMLElement {
  connectedCallback() {
    // ...
    const inputId = this.getAttribute("input-id")
    this.inputEl = document.getElementById(inputId)
    this.inputEl.addEventListener("change", this.onValueChange)
    this.render()
  }

  disconnectedCallback() {
    this.inputEl.removeEventListener("change", this.onValueChange)
  }

  render() {
     // ...
    const value = this.inputEl.getAttribute('value')
    const onSelect = ({ value }) => {
      this.inputEl.value = value
      this.inputEl.dispatchEvent(new Event("input", {bubbles: true}))
    }

    this.__reactRoot.render(
      <Combobox options={options} value={value} onSelect={onSelect} />
    )
  }

  // ...

  onValueChange = () => this.render()
}
# home_live.ex
defmodule PhoenixHeadlessuiWeb.HomeLive do
  # ...

  @impl true
  def render(assigns) do
    ~H"""
    <.form let={f} for={@changeset} phx-change="validate" phx-submit="save">
      <%= label f, :assignee %>
      <%= hidden_input f, :assignee, id: "assignee-input" %>
      <x-combobox-form input-id="assignee-input" phx-update="ignore" id="react-form-combobox" options={Jason.encode!(@options)} />
      <%= error_tag f, :assignee %>

      <%= submit "Save" %>
    </.form>
    """
  end

  @impl true
  def mount(_params, _session, socket) do
    {:ok, socket
    |> assign(:options, @options)    |> assign(:changeset, Form.changeset(%Form{}))}
  end
end
Sebb

Sebb

Generally I find the combination of LV and web-components interesting.
But it seems like these “headless-UI” components are just there to make input-elements nicer. Or is there some other benefit. Do you know if tailwind team plans to build some more involved components?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

There had been an interesting talk at last years elixir conf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXWyOy9XdA8

I don’t think they’re just useful for input fields, but more anything interactive. They’re useful wherever you want to abstract some behaviour without enforcing how the UI around said behaviours looks like.

Sebb

Sebb

Sure, I was talking about tailwind’s https://headlessui.com/ in particular. These seem very limited for now.

fteschke

fteschke OP

Nope.

Great talk, wasn’t aware of that. I would look at my post as a port of Chris’s ideas to react/JSX world, where he focuses more on lit.
I especially like his call for simplicity by avoiding JS rendering, shadow DOM etc. if not needed.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews