julngomz

julngomz

Hello All,

I need some clarifications on using WebSockets and Pub/Sub in/with Phoenix LiveView.

I have the example working where I can create, store, and delete the message and reflect them on the message feed. All I need to do now is reflect them to other users in the chat.

I am currently using Phoenix.Socket.Transport but later down the road I’ll just probably implement that using Cowboy via the behaviour :cowboy_websocket.

I have the ChatSocket implemented and defined in the Endpoint as follows.

In endpoint.ex,

 socket "/chat/:user_id/:room_id/", AppWeb.ChatSocket, websocket: true, longpoll: true

I can do some subscribing and publishing via the user_id and room_id.

On every room change, LiveView updates the websocket URL and the user_id is populated with the current authenticated users id and the selected room id,

ws://localhost:4000/chat/#{@current_user.id}/#{@active_room.id}/websocket

that in turn is passed to a JavaScript Hook (phx-hook={Chat}) via the data-ws-url attribute that implements the WebSocket and other niceties such as scrolling down/up? to the first message, etc.

I have the ChatSocket receiving a heartbeat from clients but now the confusion arises.

I understand the theory behind WebSockets and how they work I can send heartbeats to the ChatSocket as you can see in the following image:

I can also send messages to the WebSocket:

So essentially what I’m doing is the following:

  • A new message is created
  • It is saved in the database
  • the stream is updated and rendered
  • the message is then sent to the websocket
  • (potentially) pub/sub then broadcasts them to subscribed members

Note: All I care about for now is basic message storing and broadcasting there is quite a bit of edge cases I am not handling at the moment.

So the question I have is where do I plop in the Phoenix PubSub?

Since this is a SPA app and I retrieve all user information such as chatrooms along with messages, members, and member profiles. I was thinking about subscribing when I retrieve information and accessing it in the ChatSocket that way I can get new message information and display a badge with the latest message.

Thank you for taking your time with my post. Any help/clarifications is appreciated.

Showing Posts 1 to 6

codeanpeace

codeanpeace

I’d suggest looking into Phoenix.Channels which uses Phoenix.PubSub under the hood.

At a high level, you’ll want to subscribe to the chatroom topic in mount callback, publish/broadcast the message in handle_event callback for new messages from the client, and finally handling those messages published/broadcasted from other clients in handle_info callback. For a minimal working example, take a look at Step 4 — Subscribe & Consume Messages in Build Real-time Chat With Phoenix and LiveView in Fewer Than 50 Lines of Code.

And if you want to use Phoenix.PubSub directly, here’s a helpful repo that walks through the process in its readme: GitHub - dwyl/phoenix-liveview-chat-example: 💬 Step-by-step tutorial creates a Chat App using Phoenix LiveView including Presence, Authentication and Style with Tailwind CSS · GitHub.

julngomz

julngomz OP

Thank you for the response.

I’m not interested in using Phoenix.Channels at the moment. I’ll just keep moving forward using Phoenix.Socket.Transport instead of restructuring my app, it works fine as I have it. All I need to do is broadcast to other members.

I appreciate the two resources you’ve provided, I’ll look into the PubSub example you’ve provided.

conradfr

conradfr

Maybe I don’t understand what you’re trying to do but why don’t you subscribe to the appropriate pubsub topic directly in your LiveView process instead?

julngomz

julngomz OP

I got it working with Phoenix.Channels, there was a misunderstanding on my part on WebSockets and Pub/Sub.

Here check this out: Live Chatroom Messaging

conradfr

conradfr

But why do you use Channels / a websocket connection on top of using LiveView which is already that?

In your LiveView(s) you could do

AppWeb.Endpoint.subscribe(room_id)
AppWeb.Endpoint.broadcast!(room_id, "Hello", nil)
codeanpeace

codeanpeace

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews