Phoenix.LiveViewTest.render_upload/3 crashes after 1 second timeout during IO heavy load

Hello everyone!

Currently I experience a flaky error on dedicated CI when I call Phoenix.LiveViewTest.render_upload/3 function. This function works by splitting file by chunks and sending a message with a chunk via Phoenix.Channel to the Phoenix.LiveView.UploadChannel module. This module on its turn makes a file write operation and responds back that it finished. All good if it happens less than 1 second otherwise I see the following error:

test/my_app/live/my_component_test.exs:10
     ** (exit) exited in: GenServer.call(#PID<0.23470.0>, {:chunk, "good-image.png", 100, #PID<0.23467.0>, #Phoenix.LiveViewTest.Element<selector: "#my-form input[type=\"file\"][name=\"file\"]", text_filter: nil, ...>}, 5000)
         ** (EXIT) time out
     code: |> upload_image("good-image.png")
     stacktrace:
       (elixir 1.13.4) lib/gen_server.ex:1030: GenServer.call/3
       (phoenix_live_view 0.17.9) lib/phoenix_live_view/test/upload_client.ex:25: Phoenix.LiveViewTest.UploadClient.chunk/4
       (phoenix_live_view 0.17.9) lib/phoenix_live_view/test/live_view_test.ex:1752: Phoenix.LiveViewTest.render_chunk/3
       test/my_app/live/components/my_component_test.exs:20: MyApp.MyComponentTest.upload_image/2
       test/my_app/live/components/my_component_test:10: (test)

Implementation for reference: phoenix_live_view/upload_client.ex at master · phoenixframework/phoenix_live_view · GitHub.

The simplest way to fix that would be to increase the timeout. But it may not help in long term if the IO load will get higher. I assume if the goal is to have stable tests then the test with render_upload/3 should pass even if there are resource limits. I also thought about messaging but it’s already there: UploadClient waits for a message and fallbacks to exit(:timeout) after 1 second.

Is increasing timeout the only way to resolve that? Any suggestions?