Phoenix (master) on Elixir 1.9, umbrella config location

I cloned phoenix master, compiled and installed the installer.
Created a new umbrella and ran mix phx.new inside ./apps.

The generated phoenix app had configuration inside it, the generator did not insert configuration at the top of the umbrella.

Per the Elixir 1.9 release announcement Elixir v1.9.0 released, “Another important change related to configuration is that mix new will no longer generate a config/config.exs file.”

Is Phoenix just lagging behind here? I could not find an issue concerning the topic on the phoenix github.

:wave:

“Another important change related to configuration is that mix new will no longer generate a config/config.exs file.”

Seems to be mostly directed at the library authors, not users. You’d need to configure the app somewhere.

1 Like

My current approach was to configure all other applications (that is, all deps) at the umbrella root, and each umbrella application individually within its own config directory.

Maybe I misinterpreted that config should in the future always be at the umbrella root.

You’re right, the recommendation is for config to be in umbrella root.

I believe what’s happening is mix phx.new is not meant to be run inside apps or was simply not updated yet. If you already have an umbrella, do: cd apps && mix phx.new.ecto or cd apps && mix phx.new.web. Alternatively, start a new umbrella project with mix phx.new --umbrella and move your existing stuff other. Both approaches respect the recommended location of config files.

Does that help?

1 Like