bodhilogic
I’m creating a new phoenix application (my first time) and I am seeing the following warning when I am using mix phoenix,gen.html to build my DB tables:
warning: found quoted keyword "test" but the quotes are not required. Note that keywords are always atoms, even when quoted, and quotes should only be used to introduce keywords with foreign characters in them mix.exs:57
I realize that the warning has nothing to do with the table building but wonder why Phoenix is generating its own ‘bugs’ (to me, a warning is a bug)? Is it because I am using mix phoenix,gen.html instead of mix phx,gen.html?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
idi527
Because the warning comes from elixir 1.7, supposedly (I haven’t seen this warning in elixir 1.6), and phoenix v1.3 was released before elixir 1.7.
The warning is about a keyword list in
aliasesin yourmix.exs. If you check it, you’d see something likethere.
The warning says that
"test":can safely be replaced withtest:.bodhilogic
I’ve removed the quotes from the atom but it still moans about the line… my guess is that it doesn’t like the other quoted “test” either, but I assume that is a command parameter that needs to be quoted?
idi527
No, the other
"test"is supposed to be quoted and is not the reason for the warning. I don’t have any warnings once I replace"test":withtest:.bodhilogic
FYI: The error (warning) eventually went away on its own - after about half a day of ignoring it!?!?
sheharyarn
Is there a way to hide the warning without changing it?
NobbZ
Downgrading elixir to some version before the warning was introduced.
sheharyarn
Lol, obviously I meant something other than that. But I guess that means it’s not possible. Thanks.
NobbZ
Well, warnings are printed to be acted on, there is currently no way to silence them besides changing the code accordingly or to change to a version of elixir that does not emit the warnings.
And I really hope, there will never be a way to silence the warnings, that would totally defeat their purpose.
sheharyarn
I think I should be able to write
:"something"without the compiler constantly throwing warning messages at meJokes aside, I don’t believe all warnings are equally important, especially in this case. There should be a way to tell the compiler “I know what I’m doing” so it can suppress specific warnings.
amnu3387
It also shows warnings when using
:"..."inside an:ets.match- I don’t think you can write it in any other way there.