cvkmohan

cvkmohan

When we create a new application - what is the meaning behind naming the naming convention? Specifically, I could not understand the rationale behind naming the namespace to be MyApp and MyAppWeb. Can we not call them Domain and Web? My observation has been - by using the application name in namespace - and using it at many places - it is getting difficult to develop and reuse application starter templates. Even when we clone an application starter - we need to run a rename script to make the application our own.
I agree that all serious application developers here would like to develop application from scratch. But, my question is - by making it easier for using templates - is there a possibility of entry barrier getting lower for new entrants?
May be tI asked question in a bit round about way. The simple way to ask probably is - Should the Application Name be prepended for directories, all namespaces etc. - Or will they be better without it.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

tomkonidas

tomkonidas

I guess a benefit is that if you ever need to move them into an umbrella or separate the app, your not left with a project called Web. MyAppWeb on its own or in a with a bunch of mixed apps is clear what it does.

phcurado

phcurado

For module names there is a guideline: Library Guidelines — Elixir v1.12.3. This is for library but I think the same apply to other cases.
This way you avoid name conflicts and have a clear difference when using the code from a module of your app or a module from a library.

hauleth

hauleth

There can be one, and only one, module with the given name within each instance of the VM. Sometimes it is feasible to run more than one Phoenix application within the same VM instance. In such case there would be module name conflicts.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews