MisterD

MisterD

Hi,
I was thinking about simple user settings for Permalinks.
Something like Wordpress has: Customize permalinks – Documentation – WordPress.org

The question is - how to make same behaviour in Phoenix ?
In case of predefined route structures - everything is clear, you simple make predefined routes in advance.

But what about custom one ?

  • How to make a new route structure from user input ?
  • How to add a new route programmatically ?

To my understanding the routes are build during compilation time, but does it mean it is not possible to create during runtime ?

If so then, what would the solution ?

  • Load routes from DB during compilation time and then if new routes are added - restart everything ?

Any ideas or an advice is very much welcome !

Showing Posts 1 to 10

easco

easco

Just a thought off the top of my head. The Phoenix Router is “just a plug”. It tends to be the Plug at the end of the pipeline, but it is still a Plug. So it seems you could develop a Plug that looks up a new route in a dynamic data source (an ETS table, or database).

MisterD

MisterD OP

Thank you for reply!
I was thinking this way too…
I already tried to create a Plug and added that to the Pipeline.
I thought that I can analyse requested url and match through the regexp.
Once matched forward it to required function (handler).

But the problem is the following:

  • it gives the error, something like undefined route and gives me a list of valid routes.
MisterD

MisterD OP

I suppose the question is - during Plug execution, how to connect to the point when Phoenix analyses existing routes and give it the new route taken from DB or User Input ?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You cannot use the Router of plug or phoenix for the routing in this case. You need to create a wildcard route, which simply matches any url that finds it’s way to your endpoint and use custom plug to implement the routing to controllers or whatever needs to receive the request if the url is valid. The routers of plug and phoenix are based on compiled pattern matching functions, so they cannot be dynamic (or even support regex).

MisterD

MisterD OP

Thank you for reply.
I understand that I cannot use that as I already tried without success.
I would prefer not to create a wildcard route due to performance issues.

The question is - how to achieve the desired behaviour without losing performance.

  • It is possible to restart Router independently of Phoenix - I mean recompile it live ?
  • Just that peace of functionality, not the whole Phoenix ?
idi527

idi527

:waving_hand:

There wouldn’t be any performance issues if done correctly. I have a plug for webhooks that are generated at runtime to which I forward from the phoenix router module.

It works roughly like this

# in the router.ex
scope "/" do
  # ...
  forward "/webhooks", MyAppWeb.Plugs.WebHooks
end

# in plugs/web_hooks.ex
def call(%Plug.Conn{path_info: path_info, params: params} = conn, _opts) do
  if handler = get_webhook_handler(path_info) do
    handler.handle!(params)    
  end
  
  send_resp(conn, :ok, [])
end
LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Do you have performance issues? If not I’d not worry to much until you have. If you do then what have you tried?

MisterD

MisterD OP

No, I don’t currently have that.

I just remember there was a post by Chris McCord stating that using a wildcard route would lead to performance problems.

MisterD

MisterD OP

Thank you very much for your example, I really appreciate it !

Probably this is something I should use for now, and if there would be any issues, then look for something else.

One more time, thank you everyone for help !

easco

easco

A Plug accepts a Plug.Conn and returns a different Plug.Conn resource.

Part of the Plug.Conn structure is the “path_info”. Your plug could look at the Path Info and decide what function to call, pass he connection to it, and halt the propagation of the connection (so the the router never sees it).

Or, it could return a new Plug.Conn, with different path_info, let it propagate to the router, and the router could use its regular mechanism on the new path_info.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews