Phoenix on Rails - a Phoenix tutorial for Ruby on Rails developers

Hi everyone! (Sorry if this isn’t the right place to post this; admins, do what you must.)

My name is George Arrowsmith and I’m happy to announce the launch of my new course, Phoenix on Rails.

Phoenix on Rails is a 59-lesson written tutorial that teaches Elixir, Phoenix and LiveView from scratch to developers who already have experience with Ruby on Rails. The course is designed to leverage your existing knowledge of Rails to accelerate your learning of Elixir and Phoenix.

Throughout the course, you’ll build two fully-featured Phoenix applications, introducing you to all the major concepts of Elixir, Phoenix, and LiveView. Everything is explained from the perspective of a Rails developer - the aim is to take maximum advantage of what you already know, speeding up your learning compared to a generic tutorial that’s aimed at anybody.

I worked full-time with Rails for five years before switching to Phoenix and I haven’t looked back yet. I don’t miss working with Rails at all; literally everything about Phoenix is better and more fun and productive to work with (as I’m sure many people here agree!) But learning Phoenix was frustrating at first; the two frameworks are more different than they first appear, and it was painful to be slow in a new technology when I was already comfortable with Rails. These early frustrations are what inspired me to eventually write Phoenix on Rails, as I know that a lot of people come to Phoenix from a Rails background as I did.

As a special offer to the ElixirForum community, I’m providing a $10 discount: just use the code ELIXIRFORUM at checkout.

I am looking forward to seeing you at Phoenix on Rails! I hope you enjoy the course and let me know here or elsewhere if you have any questions or feedback.

5 Likes

Hello,

Sounds promising, even if my Rails days are long gone (learned another language in the meantime).

I have a few questions:

1. What format do you provide your lessons in? html, pdf or other?
  2. I have read the faqs on your page. Maybe I missed it, but: what kind of apps (as todo list, chat room, etc) are built during the course?
  3. How much of it is about LiveView?
  4. Do I have to refresh or update my rails skills? Guess I stopped at Rails 3.2.

Thanks for your answers.

Hi, sorry for the slow reply!

To answer your questions:

1. The lessons are accessible through the course platform, i.e. through your browser. If you sign up for the free sample lessons then you can see how it work.
  2. The first app is a simple CRUD app that covers the seven RESTful routes that are familiar from Rails and introduces all the basic Phoenix concepts (including LiveView). The second is a Twitter clone that introduces some more advanced concepts.
  3. LiveView is maybe like 10% of the course. The later lessons (for the Twitter clone) make heavier use of LV than the earlier lessons.
  4. I doubt it. Rails has gained a lot of new features since v3 but its basic underlying design hasn’t changed much since then. (v2 to v3 was a bigger jump, I think.)

If you have any more questions please let me know!

2 Likes

I hope it’s okay to bump this old(ish) thread! Just wanted to say that Phoenix is on Rails is currently up on Product Hunt if anyone wants to check it out there. Your support is very much appreciated!

There’s a discount code on the Product Hunt page - but the code ELIXIRFORUM from above is still valid too, and gives a bigger discount (shhh… don’t tell anyone :wink: )

1 Like