moxley

moxley

I noticed the Phoenix project doesn’t appear to have configuration for dialyzer. Running dialyzer against it produces many errors (I used some basic configuration from another project). Does Phoenix not use Dialyzer? And if not, is there a reason why?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

ericmj

ericmj

Elixir Core Team

I can’t say why Phoenix isn’t using Dialyzer, but personally I feel like the value it provides does not outweigh the downsides it brings. Dialyzer makes it harder for contributors because it’s slow, the errors are hard to understand and you need knowledege of Erlang syntax to understand it.

I would rather get more contributors and have Phoenix more approachable to beginners than use Dialyzer.

Crowdhailer

Crowdhailer

Creator of Raxx

Interesting, as I was thinking of adding dialyzer to my project, with the hope of onbording contribute with more guide rails.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Eh, just leave the main devs to run dialyzer on occasion, no need to force it on every PR or so, just a cleanup session on occasion, or a CI or so.

ericmj

ericmj

Elixir Core Team

If it’s in CI it means contributors need to know about it or I have to fix the issues they introduce. I don’t think it’s worth it for myself either since there have, at least traditionally, been many errors that are not fixable in generated code and with protocols. Errors that we cant fix also makes CI practically useless since it will always fail. The effort is usually not worth the value it provides.

Dialyzer does not do what I want a type checker to do. In traditional type systems you write types and then verify the code against the types - the types are the contract. In dialyzer the code is the contract, dialyzer ignores the types and uses the code as single source of truth. After verifying the code without the help of user-given types it then checks the types against the code, but this is limited since it will only show an error if it can guarantee that the type does not match the types inferred from the code.

This is the correct behaviour of dialyzer because it should never reject valid code [1], but for me it makes it a lot less useful.

[1] http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.62.3859&rep=rep1&type=pdf

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Yeah this I entirely agree with.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
ausimian
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New
OndrejValenta
(I just needed to vent somewhere and LinkedIn is full of hope, or hype, I’m not sure which exactly) AI dream has many faces, but general...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews