quda

quda

I need to return a custom error message (json) for Internal Server Error.
The message is needed for explaining some error causes such as: corrupt file, internal path not found, bad json, python script execution error etc.
The 500 error would be raised in certain places in my Phoenix web API code when such upstream errors/exceptions occurs.

In the official doc is not clear how exactly to do this.

Thanks for help!

Showing Posts 1 to 6

dopomecana

dopomecana

conn
|> put_status(500)
|> json(%{error: "Custom error message"})

Will this work for you?

quda

quda OP

Thanks but not really… different context, cannot use conn there
I need something to “raise”:
raise MyApp.MyCustomError {<code>, <msg>}
more exactly:
raise MyApp.MyCustomError {:500, "Script xxx.py did not execute successfully"}
I think you got the idea.

dopomecana

dopomecana

have you tried to just return a map? I got the idea from here

mcrumm

mcrumm

Phoenix Core Team

Review the Custom Exceptions section of that same guide.

You will need a defimpl Plug.Exception if you want your exception to be rendered as an HTTP response through Plug.

If you want to render your custom error in production, you will also need to add a pattern match to the render/2 function on your ErrorView. To ensure this is working correctly, you may want to set debug_errors: false on your Endpoint config in
dev.exs. :slight_smile:

Edits: typos

quda

quda OP

Thanks, I eventually managed to do it with defimpl.
I’m writing here the solution, it might help others with similar issues:
In the myapp_web.ex:

defmodule Myapp.Customerror do
  defexception [:message]
end


defimpl Plug.Exception, for: Myapp.Customerror do
  def status(_exception), do: 500
end

error_view.ex:

  def render("500.json", %{conn: conn}) do
    %{error: conn.assigns.reason.message}
  end

.Finally, in my code:

raise Myapp.Customerror, "My custom message"

Cheers,
T.

arcanemachine

arcanemachine

I dug into this, and found it can be simplified a bit when defining the exception.

  1. Define the exception:

lib/your_project_web/custom_500_error.ex

defmodule YourProjectWeb.Custom500Error do
  defexception [:message, plug_status: 500]
end

  1. Handle the exception in the view layer:

lib/your_project_web/views/error_view.ex

defmodule YourProjectWeb.ErrorView do
  def render("500.json", %{conn: conn}), do: %{error: conn.assigns.reason.message}
end

NOTE: I haven’t tried this in Phoenix v1.7 and up, but it works in v1.6 with the old style of views. Also note that the *.json template means this is being piped through an :api pipeline in the router. A plain HTML template (rendered through the :browser pipeline in the router) would probably need to match on "500.html" instead of "500.json".


  1. Raise the exception in your code:

lib/your_project_web/controllers/some_controller.ex

defmodule YourProjectWeb.SomeController do
  use YourProjectWeb, :controller

  def some_action(_conn, _params) do
    raise YourProjectWeb.Custom500Error, "Hello world!"
  end
end

Note that when calling exceptions, you can also pass arguments to it as a keyword list. For example, this would work:

raise YourProjectWeb.Custom500Error, message: "Hello world!"

Since we defined the plug_status when we created the exception, you could also override this if you wanted to make a more generic exception handler:

raise YourProjectWeb.CustomResponseError, plug_status: 400, message: "Hello world!"

From what I understand, you would need to make sure you added a clause to error_view.ex for each status code you added. (I found some workarounds when I was looking into this, but they seemed kinda hacky. Left as an exercise to the reader :wink: )

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews