deepukjayan

deepukjayan

Is it possible to listen wildcard topic in a channel

# my_socket.ex
  use Phoenix.Socket

  ## Channels
  channel "*", AbcWeb.MyChannel  #something of this sort?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

sb8244

sb8244

Author of Real-Time Phoenix

Welcome to the forum!

Yes this is definitely supported by Phoenix Socket/Channel and is the same format you use. You do need to ensure that the wildcard is at the end of the string. So "users:*" is supported but "users:*:widgets" is not supported. Here’s a toy example of how you might do this.

socket.ex

  channel "wild:*", HelloSocketsWeb.WildcardChannel
wildcard_channel.ex

  def join("wild:" <> numbers, _payload, socket) do
    if numbers_correct?(numbers) do
      {:ok, socket}
    else
      {:error, %{}}
    end
  end
bobics

bobics

Also, from the official docs:

The star character * acts as a wildcard matcher, so in the following example route, requests for room:lobby and room:123 would both be dispatched to the RoomChannel .

channel "room:*", HelloWeb.RoomChannel
deepukjayan

deepukjayan OP

In the above cases

"topic:*"

only wildcard subtopic is supported right?
Is it possible to not consider the topic at all? All the socket connection at an endpoint handled by MyChannel without considering what topic/subtopic.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

It would be like having only one channel… Which could be equivalent to any:* if You use only this topic.

The first part of topic acts like the routing part.

What usecase do You want to solve?

sb8244

sb8244

Author of Real-Time Phoenix

You can do "*". I think it’s useful to think of this in terms of Elixir pattern matching. You can write a string pattern match like:

my_string = "test:1"
# my_string == "test:1"

"test:" <> number = "test:1"
# number == "1"

Either approach works. You can not do id <> ":test" = "1:test" in Elixir—the compiler will throw an error. Channels uses pattern matching and follows these same rules.

deepukjayan

deepukjayan OP

I have an IOT device that would open a socket connection and start sending data. I really dont have control over how this device send data.

I even have a feeling that Phoenix.Socket is not the right solution for this use case. Is there a different way to allow IOT devices to establish socket connection with elixir applications and let them start pushing data?

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Yeah Phoenix Sockets are not the right answer here, even if you have a wildcard topic there is still a protocol channel clients are expected to follow. It sounds like you want to do a custom raw websocket connection. I found Phx_raws - Raw websocket on top of Phoenix not sure if it’s still up to date though.

deepukjayan

deepukjayan OP

Thanks, let me look into it. I also found GitHub - meh/elixir-socket: Socket wrapping for Elixir. · GitHub

sb8244

sb8244

Author of Real-Time Phoenix

I would suggest trying to stick to cowboy as the WebSocket server if possible. It’s super stable and you’ll get more support for it if you run into issues (because Phoenix uses it). Ben’s link to phx_raws looks promising.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

This might help You if You go the cowboy way…

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews