OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I’ve been trying to see if Phoenix supports HTTP/2 but I am not able to see any hint of a sign of negotiation or how to PUSH data over HTTP/2? It would be nice if, say, the View’s could specify mandatory files to be pushed to the browser based on their knowledge of the templates for example. Is there something that I am missing?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

That’s a feature of Cowboy. Here’s the issue: HTTP/2.0 not supported · Issue #853 · ninenines/cowboy · GitHub

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

OK, so the situation is as follows:

  1. Cowboy has just got support for HTTP/2. I do not think it’s complete nor stable at the moment.
  2. HTTP/2 in Elixir is going to be mainly handled by Plug.
  3. Plug may require some significant changes to support HTTP/2 fully
  4. Plug/Phoenix guys are waiting for the final/stable Cowboy’s implementation before they make any moves towards HTTP/2 support. Which is probably reasonable.
13
Post #2
OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1 OP

I figured that might be the case. I saw the issue in cowboy and thought HTTP/2 in it was dead as the issue appears dead and figured Phoenix was either waiting (fruitlessly based on the cowboy issue) on cowboy or was building their own but could not find anything for one way or the other. I am most curious in the PUSH aspect of HTTP/2 so I await to see what they come up with to support that. Is there any timeline on it all?

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

I think on the Cowboy’s side, it’s going to be around 6 months to stabilize things from what I’ve been told.

On Elixir’s side - not sure. I would expect preliminary protocol support first, with no assets push and only after some time inclusion of these. It needs to be handled on plug and phoenix level, so it’ll take time before used to full potential.

andre1sk

andre1sk

This is a weakest point of Erlang/Elixir web stack and could be a real challenge as implementing a quality http/2 server is a significantly more complex task than http/1.1 and it has very material impact on performance.

andre1sk

andre1sk

Anyone in the know where things stand with HTTP2 support?

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Here is the relevant issue: HTTP/2 support · Issue #258 · elixir-plug/plug · GitHub

TL;DR - there are some developers exploring HTTP2 with Plug and Phoenix already (potatosalad is awesome). There are also production ready implementations of HTTP2 in Erlang (Chatterbox) beyond the one in Cowboy master. If you need HTTP2 and you cannot wait for Plug/Phoenix, then you can always use directly from Cowboy master or Chatterbox.

andre1sk

andre1sk

Thanx for the info subscribed to the issue :slight_smile:

ChaseGilliam

ChaseGilliam

Does anyone know what the latest is on this? It looks like plug was updated and works with Cowboy 2’s http/2 support. Are there any docs on using this?

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1 OP

There is a Cowboy2 Adapter being built for Plug at this moment actually (as well as maybe N2O support too). They seem to be working on push support and the new websocket API before full release, but it is testable now if you want. :slight_smile:

https://github.com/elixir-plug/plug/issues/599
https://github.com/elixir-plug/plug/issues/613

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews