kurmetaubanov

kurmetaubanov

Hey everyone! :waving_hand:

I just published my first hex package that solves a common UX issue in Phoenix LiveView applications, and I’d love to share it with the community!

The Problem

Flash messages in Phoenix LiveView applications often stick around until the user navigates away or manually dismisses them. This can lead to cluttered UIs and poor user experience, especially for success messages like “Data saved!” that should naturally disappear after being read.

The Solution

PhoenixLiveViewFlashTimer automatically clears flash messages after a configurable timeout (default: 5 seconds). It handles both:

  • Controller-set flash messages (after form submissions, redirects, etc.)
  • LiveView put_flash calls

Quick Start

Add to your dependencies:

{:phoenix_liveview_flash_timer, "~> 0.1.0"}

For LiveView flash messages only:

def live_view do
  quote do
    use Phoenix.LiveView
    use PhoenixLiveViewFlashTimer
    
    # ... rest of your code
  end
end

For both controller AND LiveView flash messages:

def live_view do
  quote do
    use Phoenix.LiveView
    use PhoenixLiveViewFlashTimer
    on_mount PhoenixLiveViewFlashTimer  # Add this for controller flash support
    
    # ... rest of your code
  end
end

That’s it! Flash messages will now auto-disappear after 5 seconds.
Configuration

# config/config.exs
config :phoenix_liveview_flash_timer,
  default_timeout: 3000  # Custom timeout in milliseconds
Examples
elixir# In a LiveView - automatically cleared after 5 seconds
socket = put_flash(socket, :info, "Data saved successfully!")

# In a LiveView - custom timeout
socket = put_flash(socket, :error, "Something went wrong", 10000)

# In a controller - cleared when LiveView mounts (requires on_mount)
conn
|> put_flash(:info, "Account created successfully!")
|> redirect(to: ~p"/dashboard")

Features

:white_check_mark: Zero configuration required
:white_check_mark: Works with existing Phoenix LiveView apps
:white_check_mark: Configurable timeout per message or globally
:white_check_mark: Handles both controller and LiveView flash messages
:white_check_mark: Uses on_mount hook for universal coverage
:white_check_mark: Simple drop-in solution

Technical Details
The package uses Phoenix LiveView’s on_mount hook to automatically start timers for controller flash messages, and overrides put_flash to set timers for LiveView flash messages. It’s implemented as a simple macro that you can drop into any existing LiveView application without changing your existing code.
This was born out of a real need - I kept manually implementing flash message clearing in every LiveView project, so I decided to package it up and share it with the community!

I’m excited to hear your thoughts and feedback! This is my first hex package, so any suggestions are very welcome.
Thanks! :rocket:

Links

Hex: phoenix_liveview_flash_timer | Hex
Docs: phoenix_liveview_flash_timer v0.1.0 — Documentation

https://github.com/kurmetaubanov/phoenix_liveview_flash_timer

Showing Posts 1 to 6

kurmetaubanov

kurmetaubanov OP

what doesn’t look right??

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

There’s no code in the module I linked to.

kurmetaubanov

kurmetaubanov OP

oh i just updated it, please run mix deps.get again
somehow code didn’t paste with the docs. sorry for it, it’s my first package

regex.sh

regex.sh

I wrote a blog about it some time ago, it maybe can help :slight_smile:

kurmetaubanov

kurmetaubanov OP

nice) a JS solution! thanks) countdown is also cool

could be implemented in maybe next version

anyway i want to share this with those who prefers “pure” Elixir solution like myself

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews