water
I’m reading, 1. Intro to Contexts — Phoenix v1.8.8, and it’s all about phx.gen.html. When would you use phx.gen.live instead?
I generated both and they look similar/identical in the browser.
They both use .heex files
mix phx.gen — Phoenix v1.8.8 says:
live has Liveview
html has Controller and View
I’m building my first application and I don’t know which to choose.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
w0rd-driven
There are differences “under the hood” primarily. With gen.html you get a controller and take the traditional MVC approach with a single page call to your router. With LiveView there’s the addition of websockets where the GenServer takes the place of a traditional controller.
The primary difference is that web socket that requires a more persistent connection. LiveView is mostly both an Elixir backend as well as front end. Normal views (I’m not a fan of the term “dead views”) relies on JavaScript for more frontend behaviors. If you’re looking to integrate things like React, Vue, or Svelte you’ll have a slightly easier time if the backend is not a LiveView. It’s not that you can’t marry a heavy JS frontend with a LiveView backend, its just that fetching is handled a lot differently.
There is a lot more to each topic but if you’re making something that’s targeting crappy internet or things like phones, you may not want to choose LiveView. You can have great experiences and fortunately there is wide browser support for web sockets but particularly very old browsers don’t support them well or at all.
If this were me and I wasn’t aware of typical MVC architecture I would create 2 prototype projects generating both
phx.gen.htmlandphx.gen.live. It’s a good way to get intimately familiar with both. I believe the majority of the Phoenix books do just that. They start you with normal views before moving to live.