arpan

arpan

Hello everyone :wave:

Today I am very excited to announce a project that I have been working on for almost 3 months now.

The project is called Pictionary it is a guessing and drawing multiplayer game.

Check out the repository here
(Consider adding a star if you like my work)

Give it shot, play the game now, if you don’t find any active games then just join from two different browser sessions create a game from one browser, and join from another.
Play the game now!

Each game consists of a few rounds, in every round someone has to draw their chosen word and others have to guess it to gain points! Players with the highest scores are the winners at the end of the game.

Here’s a small demo of how it looks like in action

https://misc-files-share.s3.amazonaws.com/pictionary.gif

I took inspiration for this game from the original superhit game skribble, I also found another clone for this game written in Go, and I decided to make it in Elixir.

Building this game was very challenging and I learned a lot throughout the process.
Elixir offers just the right tools that are perfect for this kind of thing.

Here’s some of the interesting stuff I have done…

  • Players are drawing and whatever they draw gets broadcasted in real-time to all other players over WebSockets, How cool is that !!!

  • There is no Database I store everything in ETS or genserver state
    Dynamically launch and stop genservers for every game
    Combine the power of phoenix channels along with genservers and ETS to make it work wonderfully.

  • I used react js for the front and learned a bunch of stuff in react like dealing with WebSockets, using middlewares like redux-saga, dark mode, material UI, etc.

The elixir app is deployed to gigalixir and the react frontend app is deployed to netlify.

I am very happy with the results and would request you guys to take a look and play the game with your friends, its pretty fun actually :smiley:

I would like to thank this awesome community that helps me out whenever I am stuck or need advice and provides this platform to share my creations with others who are passionate about elixir like me.

PS: I think the game is stable however you might find a bug, if you face any issues feel free to create an issue and I will try to check it out.

Good Day everyone!

Showing Posts 1 to 1

patrickdm

patrickdm

Really cool, starred!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews