Pictionary a multiplayer drawing and guessing game

Hello everyone :wave:

Today I am very excited to announce a project that I have been working on for almost 3 months now.

The project is called Pictionary it is a guessing and drawing multiplayer game.

Check out the repository here
(Consider adding a star if you like my work)

Give it shot, play the game now, if you don’t find any active games then just join from two different browser sessions create a game from one browser, and join from another.
Play the game now!

Each game consists of a few rounds, in every round someone has to draw their chosen word and others have to guess it to gain points! Players with the highest scores are the winners at the end of the game.

Here’s a small demo of how it looks like in action

I took inspiration for this game from the original superhit game skribble, I also found another clone for this game written in Go, and I decided to make it in Elixir.

Building this game was very challenging and I learned a lot throughout the process.
Elixir offers just the right tools that are perfect for this kind of thing.

Here’s some of the interesting stuff I have done…

• Players are drawing and whatever they draw gets broadcasted in real-time to all other players over WebSockets, How cool is that !!!

• There is no Database I store everything in ETS or genserver state
    Dynamically launch and stop genservers for every game
    Combine the power of phoenix channels along with genservers and ETS to make it work wonderfully.

• I used react js for the front and learned a bunch of stuff in react like dealing with WebSockets, using middlewares like redux-saga, dark mode, material UI, etc.

The elixir app is deployed to gigalixir and the react frontend app is deployed to netlify.

I am very happy with the results and would request you guys to take a look and play the game with your friends, its pretty fun actually :smiley:

I would like to thank this awesome community that helps me out whenever I am stuck or need advice and provides this platform to share my creations with others who are passionate about elixir like me.

PS: I think the game is stable however you might find a bug, if you face any issues feel free to create an issue and I will try to check it out.

Good Day everyone!

8 Likes

Really cool, starred!

1 Like