pertsevds

pertsevds

Hey folks,
I made a tiny macro that lets you assign a piped value to a variable without breaking the flow. For example:

data
|> transform()
|> process()
|> finalize()
|> assign_to(result) # Assign to result variable

or even during the pipeline:

data
|> transform()
|> assign_to(step1)  # Capture without breaking flow
|> process()
|> assign_to(step2)
|> finalize()
|> assign_to(result) # Assign to result variable

Sure, it’s not idiomatic — but we’ve got then/1, tap/1, even throw/1, so I got curious about what assign from pipe could look like.

Had to jump through a few hoops to avoid compiler warnings, but it works smoothly now.

Docs: pipe_assign v1.1.2 — Documentation
Hex.pm: pipe_assign | Hex
Repo:

https://github.com/pertsevds/pipe_assign

Showing Posts 1 to 10

DaAnalyst

DaAnalyst

Bookmarked for the very next time I need it

Thanks!

tomg

tomg

You could achieve the same result and readability by using the with clause in my opinion:

with step1 <- transform(data),
     step2 <- process(step1),
     result <- finalize(step2) do
  # do something with variables
end
pertsevds

pertsevds OP

Yes. But I love pipes :heart:

byu

byu

I look forward to trying this out.

How would you compare and contrast this library’s aims and functionality with the ok library?

pertsevds

pertsevds OP

ok is a syntactically shorter with and then alternative. It’s not suitable to assign to variable in pipe flow.

pipe_assign is an alternative for an equal sign but not before pipe flow, but after. It’s suitable to assign to variable in pipe flow.

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

I wonder what compile warnings you were referring to. The last time I checked, this works:

  defmacro bind_to(value, name) do
    quote do
      unquote(name) = unquote(value)
    end
  end
pertsevds

pertsevds OP

result = 0

[1, 2, 3]
|> Enum.map(&(&1 * 2))
|> Enum.sum()
|> bind_to(result)

warning: variable “result” is unused

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

If you are not going to use the old result why initialize it? If you are not going to use the new result why bind to it? IMHO this warning is useful.

pertsevds

pertsevds OP

Now when I think about it… you’re right! =)
I’ll change the behavior.
Thank you.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews