dgigafox

dgigafox

Hi guys. Would like to ask for some help cause I am new to creating libraries.
So I am currently creating an elixir library for seeding that would solve this problem:

Seeding a database is simple using seeds.exs but fairly messy and complicated when the app is huge and has a bunch of tables. For example, the project that I am working on currently is taking like 30 to 40 minutes to seed which does not count DB timeouts which you need to re-run again if it happens.

Now the interface of my library is simple. Seeders have 2 callbacks:

@callback deps() :: [atom()]
@callback run(Context.t()) :: struct() | [struct()]

deps are list of seeders that should be run before the current seeder while run returns a struct/structs. It will look something like this

defmodule UserSeed do
  use ThisLibrary, key: :user

  @impl true
  def deps, do: []

  @impl true
  def run(%ThisLibrary.Context{}) do
    {:ok, users} = ...some_insert_operation()
    users
  end
end

After this seed runs it will be put to Context.seeds with the key which can be pattern matched by other seeders next in line. Something like:

defmodule PostSeed do
  use ThisLibrary, key: :post

  @impl true
  def deps, do: [UserSeed]

  @impl true
  def run(%ThisLibrary.Context{seeds: %{users: users}}) do
    {:ok, posts} = ...some_insert_operation(users)
    posts
  end
end

Now, I would like my implementation to be using GenServers. Each seeder library is a GenServer periodically checking if all deps already ran. If all deps run then that’s the time it will call run/0 and do the DB operation. The library runs a dynamic supervisor that starts each seeder as a child. So in case of error it can save the state in whatever format (maybe database, json file, etc…), re-running the seeder library will not start from the beginning but will just run from where it stopped. Also would like to run seeders asynchronously as long as its deps are complete for faster seeding.

Question is. Is this a good implementation? Am I overcomplicating things, or am I missing something?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Roughly how many rows are involved with this seed? 30-40 minutes seems like it should be tens of millions, which seems excessive.

Hitting DB timeouts suggests two things could be happening:

  • inserting too many rows in a single transaction
  • if there aren’t many rows involved, inserting things in ways that cause lock contention (unique indexes, etc)

It’s also worth investigating the database you’re seeding into - is it hitting a performance bottleneck? If so, dividing work up among GenServers is just going to mean more processes waiting for an overloaded DB.

dgigafox

dgigafox OP

@al2o3cr Thanks for the response!

Not actually 10s of millions but just estimate 40,000 rows from all tables. You are right about two things:

  • There are transactions that are taking too long thus result to DB timeout
  • If insertions will be through GenServer processes and DB is the bottleneck, the process will just wait for DB to open a connection

We need to update our seed from time to time when new features are introduced and sometimes when we update a function in the seed it can result to timeout which occurs intermittently. When we (especially QA) want a fresh seed to our database, and it times out, we need to fix the seed and re-run it from the beginning.

So I think it will be better to just run the seeds sequentially to avoid overloading the database? Also it will be easier to track where it stopped and where to fix

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

30-40 minutes to insert 40k rows seems remarkably slow; I’d recommend you start by figuring out where all that time is going. For instance, changing up your seeding workflow won’t help much if (for instance) you’re using bcrypt_elixir and inserting a lot of users with log_rounds set too high.

If you need updatable seeds, a package like phil_columns could be what you’re looking for.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews