JEG2
Author of Designing Elixir Systems with OTP
My wife use to have a Pixoo64. She loved choosing what to display, but found the app pretty frustrating. The hardware also gave out sooner than I would have expected.
I’m considering replacing it with a Nerves based solution and I would just love any guidance you can share for this pretty low-experience hardware guy.
It looks like I could use something like this display connected to a Pi 4 with this bonnet. My initial questions are:
- Do you see any problems with this hardware?
- How will I communicate with the screen from my app? circuits_gpio?
- Will the Pi have enough speed to keep refreshing that display and serve an API, LiveView, or Livebook to provide an interface?
Thanks again for your time!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
lawik
Very cool!
I think the hat will essentially handle the hard parts of driving the display. I would be surprised if the Pi4 would work very hard. You talk to hat, hat talks to LED matrix.
This is the Python driver: GitHub - hzeller/rpi-rgb-led-matrix: Controlling up to three chains of 64x64, 32x32, 16x32 or similar RGB LED displays using Raspberry Pi GPIO · GitHub
You can either port that to Elixir or ensure you can run it on Nerves and talk to it from Elixir. You could go wild and try cocoa’s pythonx library to avoid needing to poke around with Python support on the Nerves system (semi-advanced), we do not include Python by default. Porting to Elixir is the boss move but more time-consuming so depends on what you want to do.
If porting, yes. Probably circuits GPIO, I didn’t dig in to check if the driver uses more common protocols (I2C, SPI, etc).