vkryukov

vkryukov

I’m playing with DeepSeek V3, a new open source 670B parameter model released by a Chinese LLM provider, that is said to be close in quality to the leading closed source models (Claude and gpt4o), and it’s pretty good (and ~10-15X cheaper than the competition when you use their API, with no restrictions).

One thing that it surprised me with was that when I asked it to fix the KV tutorial code (essentially, to implement “release buckets on exit”), instead of creating a map of refs as in the tutorial, it simply used the pid from the :DOWN message, arriving to the following solution:

  @impl true
  def handle_cast({:create, name}, names) do
    if Map.has_key?(names, name) do
      {:noreply, names}
    else
      {:ok, bucket} = KV.Bucket.start_link([])
      # Monitor the bucket process
      Process.monitor(bucket)
      {:noreply, Map.put(names, name, bucket)}
    end
  end

  @impl true
  def handle_info({:DOWN, _ref, :process, pid, _reason}, names) do
    # Remove the bucket from the registry when it exits
    names = Enum.into(Enum.reject(names, fn {_name, bucket_pid} -> bucket_pid == pid end), %{})
    {:noreply, names}
  end

Of course, nothing is ever rosy with LLM-produced code - its original suggestion didn’t have Enum.into, so it was silently replacing maps with lists when removing names (but DeepSeek was able to resolve the issue once I supplied it with a stack trace). And of course with a large number of processes, using a second map for refs will be more performant than linearly searching through the list. Notice also that most Elixir developers(?) would probably write

names = 
  names
  |> Enum.reject(...)
  |> Enum.into(%{})

to make the code more readable.

But I’m still impressed - I personally didn’t think of that solution when I was going through the docs for the first or second time.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews