darraghenright

darraghenright

Hi there! :wave:

I should preface this by saying I’m an absolute beginner to parser combinators and I’m pretty much an Elixir hobbyist so far.

In any case, I’ve very recently become interested in exploring them since watching Saša Jurić’s Parsing from first principles video and I’ve just started scratching the surface with nimble_parsec.

The introductory datetime example got me thinking about how one might go about parsing integers with additional constraints. As a standalone example, how one would go about parsing a “valid month” value; e.g: in the range 1..12 with an optional leading 0.

Strings like "1", "01" and "12" would be valid, returning 1, 1 and 12 respectively.

Conversely, strings like "0", "00", "001" and "13" are invalid.

I am not sure what an idiomatic approach is here, so I suspect my various attempts so far have been very naive. The following is my best attempt, where I accept any integer between one or two characters and then validate with post_traverse:

defmodule MonthParser do
  import NimbleParsec

  def valid_month?(_rest, [n] = args, context, _line, _offset) when n >= 1 and n <= 12,
    do: {args, context}

  def valid_day?(_rest, [n], _context, _line, _offset),
    do: {:error, "Invalid month: #{n}"}

  month =
    integer(min: 1, max: 2)
    |> post_traverse(:valid_month?)
    |> eos()

  defparsec :month, month 

end

This seems satisfactory enough:

iex(1)> MonthParser.month "0"
{:error, "Invalid month: 0", "", %{}, {1, 0}, 1}
iex(2)> MonthParser.month "00"
{:error, "Invalid month: 0", "", %{}, {1, 0}, 2}
iex(3)> MonthParser.month "01"
{:ok, [1], "", %{}, {1, 0}, 2}
iex(4)> MonthParser.month "1" 
{:ok, [1], "", %{}, {1, 0}, 1}
iex(5)> MonthParser.month "31"
{:ok, [31], "", %{}, {1, 0}, 2}
iex(6)> MonthParser.month "32"
{:error, "Invalid month: 32", "", %{}, {1, 0}, 2}

However, in the spirit of education I’d love to learn about better solutions. This being Elixir I assume there’s a far more elegant and succinct solution :sparkles:

Additionally, I am wondering in this example if range validation might be better somewhere else — in other words, maybe worrying about the validity of the values comes later? I am imagining a more complex scenario where a full date is being parsed, where the validity of the date depends on the month.

Thanks! :smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 7

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Thats the approach I generally use.

In some cases, like the one you outline, I may opt for a more explicit expression of validity like:

month = 
  choice([
    string("12"),
    string("11"),
    ...
    string("1")
  ])
  |> reduce({String, :to_integer, []})
  |> label("must be resolved to be from 1 to 12")
dbern

dbern

If you want some examples of NimbleParsec and date time parsing you can look at TaxJar’s date_time_parser.

I helped make it. I won’t say it’s a shining example of parsing well, but it works.

darraghenright

darraghenright OP

Thanks! That’s a good suggestion, try to be as explicit as possible, which is obviously a lot clearer and a bit more declarative.

Just wondering, are the strings defined in descending numeric order for a reason?

darraghenright

darraghenright OP

Very cool! Thanks for sharing, looks like there’s a lot of good material to learn from in here.

ityonemo

ityonemo

A few notes:

  1. overall, looks like a fantastic start.
  2. by convention functions that end in ? should emit boolean values.
  3. I would do range validation inside your nimble parsec module as you have it here. Because let’s say you want to make a complex analysis tool, you want to quit early, instead of process the whole file and then hunt for problems, because you have contextual information that what you are parsing is a “month value”.
  4. I typically don’t like to expose the complex nimbleparsec function return as part of the public api of my modules. I usually wrap it in another function that simplifies the output.

I can’t say I’m an expert (some of these suggestions I’m about to give are very much my own), and I’ve only really been using nimbleparsec for a few months. If you’d like a more complex example, here are some of the highlights of a relatively complex parser (it parses zig code), note that these are things that may only apply to more complex situations:

  1. All throughout you’ll see “ignore” blocks. This parser is strictly for analysis, so my preference is to throw away intermediate parser results, and only use the context as an accumulator. I could have dropped structured parser results into the result stream, but some of my results necessarily, contextually cross “sub-parser” boundaries, so I felt this was the better choice. If you have an analysis only parser, you can also drop your results into the result stream, which may be a better choice if your results don’t depend on context between sub-parses; if you have a parser that mutates the text block, then you almost certainly should use the context to store document metadata/analysis.
  2. I like to ninja in a structured datatype for context, instead of an unstructured map. This helps organize my thoughts and keep a sane accounting of what’s going on inside of nimbleparsec, which can spiral into complexity. https://github.com/ityonemo/zigler/blob/master/lib/zigler/parser.ex#L75
  3. I like to make intermediate parsecs where I can shoot valid and invalid forms in tests. If you’re building more complex parsers, this is vital, or else you’re gonna have a bad time debugging as the complexity starts to spiral.
    https://github.com/ityonemo/zigler/blob/master/lib/zigler/parser.ex#L150
  4. Don’t be afraid to raise in your parsers. Naked NimbleParsec errors aren’t necessarily helpful, and inside your parsers you have more contextual information.
    https://github.com/ityonemo/zigler/blob/master/lib/zigler/parser.ex#L186
  5. Along those same lines, I like to do intermediate validations early, as soon as the contextual information is available:
    https://github.com/ityonemo/zigler/blob/master/lib/zigler/parser.ex#L276
  6. As I said before, wrap your nimble parsec parser in an module API function. In the case of this module, I return a structured datatype, or raise.
    https://github.com/ityonemo/zigler/blob/master/lib/zigler/parser.ex#L431
kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Its not in descending number order, its in descending string order. If we don’t capture the 2-digit numbers first, like string("12") then we would capture string("1") and then the next character would be “2” which would be a parse error. When parsing strings like this its important to parse the longest strings first for that reason.

darraghenright

darraghenright OP

I forgot to come back again and say thanks to everyone for their replies since my last visit.

@kip — Excellent point about string length, seems so obvious in retrospect, and of course this would factor when including comparisons for leading zero values; i.e: string("01") should come before string("1") (or string("9") for that matter!

@ityonemo — point taken about functions that end with ?. I’m usually more vigilant about that convention (I promise) :slight_smile: Thanks for all the reference material, super helpful stuff.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews