fteschke

fteschke

Announcing: playwright_ex

A simple Elixir client for the Playwright node.js server.
Automate browsers like Chromium, Firefox, Safari and Edge.
Experimental.

Extracted from phoenix_test_playwright, so the foundation is proven to work.
What I’m less sure about is the API. Happy to hear your thoughts!

References:

https://github.com/ftes/playwright_ex

Showing Posts 1 to 4

michallepicki

michallepicki

Thank you!!! I worked a bit in the past on maintaining a e2e web app integration test suite, testing on both Chrome and Firefox, and one of the most annoying things in the legacy WebDriver protocol was behavior differences when running the tests on different browsers. Or tests breaking after a browser update. And the new-er W3C WebDriver protocol didn’t solve this problem (and maybe actually even introduced more problems). I think the biggest contribution of Playwright is that Microsoft is putting in the leg work to make it work consistently across all the browsers (and that it works with their new versions). Sure, it’s not exactly 100% Firefox or Safari (they maintain forks) but I think it should be good enough to test most important functionality across all browsers.

michallepicki

michallepicki

Related, the W3C people have been working on another huge specification in WebDriver BiDi, we’ll see how well supported that one will be… And fresh off the press, with a 1.0 version already released (in Gleam style, where they intentionally discourage library authors from publishing 0.x versions so that APIs are well thought out from the start and libraries are not stuck in that chaotic pre-1.0 world) there’s now a Gleam library called butterbee for working with WebDriver BiDi.

What I’m less sure about is the API. Happy to hear your thoughts!

That probably goes without saying, but I think all of the hound, wallaby and now also butterbee could be an inspiration here. Personally I like your approach of having extracted the lower-level bits from phoenix_test_playwright, I think it would be best to focus on the protocol itself and a “client library” alone, and leave the higher level testing helpers and Ecto/Phoenix integration conveniences to other libraries building on top of it. For Wallaby, I know @aaronrenner extracted web_driver_client having that approach in mind

fteschke

fteschke OP

Thanks for the feedback and the pointers @michallepicki .
butterbee and the WebDriver BiDi progress are new to me.

fteschke

fteschke OP

there’s now a Gleam library called butterbee for working with WebDriver BiDi.

Some quick tinkering: Might be worth looking into a WebDriver BiDi/Butterbee driver for PhoenixTest.
https://github.com/germsvel/phoenix_test/pull/278

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews