smon

smon

I am working on an Phoenix API (PUT) route that allows the upload of rather large image files (more than 1gb). So I am trying to read the request body in chunks by parsing some requests parameters, opening an io_device (with File.open/2) and hand both my conn and the device to the following function:

  defp read_body_chunked(conn, io_device) do
    IO.inspect(conn, label: "read_body_chunked called")

    read_body(conn)
    |> IO.inspect()
    |> case do
      {:ok, data, conn} ->
        IO.binwrite(io_device, data)
        {:ok, conn}

      {:more, data, conn} ->
        IO.binwrite(io_device, data)
        read_body_chunked(conn, io_device)

      error ->
        error
    end
  end

This works in general if the connection is stable.

But if I kill my client (an Electron app) deliberately while a large file is being uploaded it looks like read_body/2 is still called but never returns. I get a final log with the label “read_body_chunked called”, but then nothing afterwards and I end up with a only partially uploaded file and no apparent way to recover.

What am I missing?

I am using :plug_cowboy 2.7 and Phoenix 1.7.20.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

I believe that Cowboy will terminate the process that’s holding the conn when the remote end goes away; trapping exits inside (or around) read_body_chunked would give you more opportunity for logging.

smon

smon OP

How would I implement that?

The function above gets called directly in my controller module. So I would need to somehow inject that capture somewhere in the Phoenix endpoint/router?

smon

smon OP

Solved it with the following extension code:

  defp start_body_streaming(conn, io_device, target_path) do
    parent = self()

    spawn(fn ->
      Process.monitor(parent)

      receive do
        {:DOWN, _ref, :process, _pid, {:shutdown, :local_closed}} ->
          Logger.warning(
            "File upload got interrupted for `#{target_path}`, deleting data received so far."
          )

          File.rm(target_path)
      end
    end)

    stream_body(conn, io_device)
  end

  defp stream_body(conn, io_device) do
    read_body(conn)
    |> case do
      {:ok, data, conn} ->
        IO.binwrite(io_device, data)
        {:ok, conn}

      {:more, data, conn} ->
        IO.binwrite(io_device, data)
        stream_body(conn, io_device)

      error ->
        error
    end
  end

via `Plug.Conn.read_body/2` not returning when client drops/crashes · Issue #107 · elixir-plug/plug_cowboy · GitHub

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews