christopheradams

christopheradams

I’ve long been a fan of REST-based systems such as Webmachine and later cowboy_rest for writing web apps in Erlang.

If you’re not familiar with the concept: instead of building routes with “verb/path/controller/action” like we do in Phoenix, we match a URL path with a module that describes our resource declaratively using callbacks like resource_exists, content_types_accepted, etc. The module is handed to a state machine that executes over these functions and constructs a response.

If you’ve never used one of these libraries, you owe it to yourself to try it out. You’ll learn a lot about good HTTP semantics!

Anyway, I wanted to have this same behavior available in Plug and Phoenix, so I translated the core of cowboy_rest into a Plug module, and wrote resource macros that work in each library’s router. The result is two new hex packages:

Here’s an example of a Resource module:

defmodule MyApp.HelloResource do
  use PlugRest.Resource

  def allowed_methods(conn, state) do
    {["HEAD", "GET", "OPTIONS"], conn, state}
  end

  def content_types_provided(conn, state) do
    {[{"text/html", :to_html}], conn, state}
  end

  def to_html(conn, state) do
    {"Hello #{state}", conn, state}
  end
end

And a Router in Plug:

defmodule MyApp.Router do
  use PlugRest.Router

  plug :match
  plug :dispatch

  resource "/hello", MyApp.HelloResource, "World"
end

I’ve surely spent as almost much time on the docs as I have on the code, but I know there’s a challenge to understanding webmachine-style frameworks if you’ve never used one.

I’m open to questions, PR’s, and any feedback to help get these libraries to version 1.0.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Nice, looks to be quite useful.

christopheradams

christopheradams OP

This post by Sean Cribbs is what first piqued my interest in Webmachine: Webmachine vs. Grape - Sean Cribbs

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews