brainlid

brainlid

Episode 185 of Thinking Elixir. Dive into the world of structured LLM prompting with our latest guest who shares insights on their innovative project, InstructorEx. We’ll explore how this tool is pushing the boundaries of large language models to return structured data, particularly JSON, and the benefits it offers when integrated into existing systems. The conversation takes a deep dive into the challenges and solutions of forcing LLMs to output data in desirable formats using Elixir technology, like Ecto schemas, and what it means to treat an LLM like a digital human, even applying it to tasks like spam detection in emails. Discover the intriguing concept of using a local database as a cache for LLM results. If you’re curious about the intersection of structured data, Python experience transition to Elixir, and the future of LLM integration, this is an episode not to miss. Tune in for these engaging topics and more!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

shawn_leong

shawn_leong

I was trying to coerce the output completions from OpenAI for my specific use case into a more structured format & was hell-bent not to leave Elixir land.

Was looking for the Elixir equivalent of Output Parsers in Python LangChain & this was super timely and helpful, thank you! :pray:

Would something similar to Output Parsers be on the roadmap for Elixir LangChain?
(I imagine Instructor being one of many outputs that follow some defined behaviour)

brainlid

brainlid OP

Hi @shawn_leong! I’m hoping that Bumblebee can get support for the same type of output constraint that LlamaCPP supports.

If that can happen, then I’d love to add that to Elixir LangChain.

What type of output parsing were you looking for? When working with OpenAI and ChatGPT, the easiest I’ve found is creating a function that takes the data in the structure you want.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Podcasts Top

PJUllrich
We recap ElixirConf US in Chicago, unveil this year’s AtomVM-powered Goatmire name badges, and dig into what happened after Pushin hit th...
New
ancatrusca
New episode covering the full arc of Kip Cole’s 10-year localization and time work in Elixir - useful context for anyone using ex_cldr, T...
New
ancatrusca
New episode with Tobias Pfeiffer (PragTob) covering Benchee’s design and the systematic mistakes that make most benchmarks misleading. P...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews