brainlid

brainlid

Some people excitedly talk about the “end of localhost development” when developer machines move to the cloud. Presumably this is better because our environments, infrastructure and projects are so complex that they need this additional layer of abstraction just to keep teams productive. Is this our inevitable future? Or is this trying to solve the wrong problem? We talk about what we think this movement is about and how it relates to us. Elixir projects can potentially be much simpler with fewer external dependencies making this move to the cloud less compelling. Join us as we contemplate how Elixir and Phoenix might fare in a world with no “localhost development”.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Not while I draw breath! :018:

I can secure two separate servers from the second-hand local market with Xeon E-2690v3 and 64GB ECC RAM each, right now, for ~1300 EUR a piece. With these two servers I could likely accommodate all CI/CD and deployment needs of my last 15 customers. :003: And I really do mean 24/7.

…And have fully containerized development environments for working on each one of their projects.

I can see that but I will always argue in the other direction – let’s start working on simplifying those. There’s sort of a quantum uncertainty level when piling complexity on top of itself. Once that level is reached then computers don’t seem to act logically and deterministically anymore. That’s probably one of the reasons Elixir even exists, and many other new-ish and very good tech.


I can see how making somebody a VIM / Emacs / VSCode expert and train them in how to tame their own environment + software + terminal(s) and then also make them good/great with the tech stack that the company uses is not seen as a sound business investment. But I’ll respectfully disagree. Honing the skills and brains of your staff is something that’s owed to them.

Our work is super hard and the average retirement age of most programmers is 40 years old. Least our employers could do is not micro-optimize our time to training and expertise! It’s well-known that many programmers use every employer as a positive addition to their CVs and resumes; that’s quite normal and I don’t want to have anything to do with an employer who is not okay with it.


Thanks for the podcast link. I’ll listen to it but I know my stance already and that’s why figured I’ll post it.

aschrijver

aschrijver

I am fully with you in that sentiment. Any trend to make Elixir projects simpler, easier to develop for in whatever environment is to be applauded.

With regards to “end of localhost development” I want to say that this is likely the ultimate wet dream of Microsoft Github and (to be acquired by other Big Tech?) Gitlab, where you are effectively locked in to their full-service SaaS’es. “Browser-based software development”, where maybe in a couple of years not even a local Git is needed. Then for offline development you download some pre-packaged execution environment, and your code sits somewhere inside that thing.

(I am involved in forge federation movement and will passionately help break these de-facto walled gardens and establish open ecosystems)

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Podcasts Top

PJUllrich
We recap ElixirConf US in Chicago, unveil this year’s AtomVM-powered Goatmire name badges, and dig into what happened after Pushin hit th...
New
ancatrusca
New episode covering the full arc of Kip Cole’s 10-year localization and time work in Elixir - useful context for anyone using ex_cldr, T...
New
ancatrusca
New episode with Tobias Pfeiffer (PragTob) covering Benchee’s design and the systematic mistakes that make most benchmarks misleading. P...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews