brainlid
Episode 130 of Thinking Elixir. The Elixir community is buzzing with excitement around Bumblebee! Bumblebee makes it easy to use a variety of pre-trained neural network models in Elixir. José Valim, Paulo Valente, and Jonatan Kłosko join us to talk about this latest advancement. We learn how Bumblebee works, the abilities that are supported today, where things are going next and the longer term visions of what’s possible. We cover the new Livebook smart cells that create an easy playground for playing with Bumblebee, a single-file Phoenix example that does image classification, and much more!
Trending in Podcasts
Recorded live from Goatmire in Varberg, we recap the conference, its Nerves-powered orchestra, LED tree, and badges, and discuss José Val...
New
New episode with Alex Koutmos covering the overlap between Elixir and financial systems - practically, architecturally, and historically....
New
New episode covering the full arc of Kip Cole’s 10-year localization and time work in Elixir - useful context for anyone using ex_cldr, T...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Most Liked- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
AstonJ
I think I’m going to have to listen to this a couple of times to distill all the info about ML+Elixir
The first 5 minutes has some really good info about some of the AI/ML stuff in the news right now too, specifically, how ChatGPT and Dalli aren’t open source even though they are from a company called ‘OpenAI’!!
brainlid
Ha! I know! Ironic isn’t it. I found it Jose’s statement interesting about complex/advanced models potentially becoming so large that individuals couldn’t create, run or test them on the hardware we have.
It’s an interesting time for ML!
AstonJ
I wonder if someone has started a petition asking them to change it, or reported them to some standards authority as misleading… because it definitely is
When I first visited their website my immediate thought was that it sounds cool because it appears to be open source. If you look at their charter it follows the same theme; they are trying very hard to come across as an ‘open’ (/open source) organisation. It makes me super suspicious 
It is! And I was curious as well after I reached that part of the podcast.. so googled ‘best GPU for deep learning’, and it seems to be…
The NVIDIA A100
It has 80GB of RAM!
Not cheap at $13,999
How much for a full spec’d system?
$187K
(Disclaimer: nobody buy that system! I just added things to get an idea of cost, some of those items may not be necessary/ideal)