devinus

devinus

Poison, the extremely fast and standards compliant JSON library for Elixir:

Poison is a JSON library for Elixir focusing on wicked-fast speed without sacrificing simplicity, completeness, or correctness.

Poison takes several approaches to be the fastest JSON library for Elixir.

Poison uses extensive sub binary matching, a hand-rolled parser using several techniques that are known to benefit BeamAsm for JIT compilation, IO list encoding and single-pass decoding.

Poison benchmarks sometimes puts Poison’s performance close to jiffy and usually faster than other Erlang/Elixir libraries.

Poison fully conforms to RFC 8259, ECMA 404, and fully passes the JSONTestSuite.

https://github.com/devinus/poison


v6.0.0 has just been released and packs a lot of new features, bug fixes and performance improvements over the previous release. It’s probably best to reference the CHANGELOG for more information.

Poison was already very performant in 5.0.0, but now Poison takes a sizable lead over other pure Elixir JSON libraries (namely Jason) when parsing and also on encoding workloads that include a lot of UTF-8 strings (both native and encoded).

Enjoy!

Showing Posts 1 to 4

Schultzer

Schultzer

Awesome work on this and the benchmark, hopefully any future work in improving JSON can happen in OTP so the community don’t have to figure out which JSON library they have to use, FWIW I have the same reservations with mint and req, would be ideal if those lesson learned got upstream to OTP.

You have been an awesome contributor to our community and can’t wait to see more of your work having an even larger impact on the beam community as a whole!

ukchukx

ukchukx

hopefully any future work in improving JSON can happen in OTP

That hope is already a reality with OTP 27

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I too like the competition and am looking forward to all those lessons learned to be firmly inside OTP.

Schultzer

Schultzer

Please read my message again after you have read Poison’s source code.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews